Have I just Killed my brand new Malossi 172..?

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by Malossi Tom 172, May 24, 2020.

1. Malossi Tom 172

Malossi Tom 172 New Member

Hi guys,

Recently just had an SR 125 nicely rebuilt with a Malossi 172, main bearings and seals, Malossi carbon reeds, technigas exhaust, new rollers, 2 stroke pump belt, CVT belt, rollers, fork seals, front pads, seals and brake fluid.

I heat cycled it a couple of times as advised before riding it and made sure not to pin the throttle

I lowered the clip to the notch one above the lowest (Mikuni VM20 carb), put in a 94 main jet and took it for a plug chop, when I took the plug off after WOT and turning the key and killing the engine at 60mph I was horrified at what happened... The plug was grey and smoke came out of my engine for about 45 seconds after removing the plug.

I am worried that the engine has ran lean and maybe already overheated.

I have not ridden it since and I'm waiting on some 98-106 jets that I've ordered and will be putting in the biggest one first, plug chopping it and hoping I haven't nuked my engine.

2. Malossi Tom 172

Yeah, I'd do all that but unfortunately I don't own a left-handed screwdriver to install the parts with.

I'm hoping to alter the colour scheme of the 'ped too but I'm struggling to find tartan paint, apparently you need to have a long weight to get it mixed up for you.

Anyone who's not an utter cockwomble fancy chiming in :rolleyes:?

Stevep likes this.
  3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Remember not to shake that paint....
    I would run a 110 jet myself just to be sure..

Stevep likes this.
  4. Rickard Pingol

Rickard Pingol Active Member

Gentle reminder. Dont forget to change the air in your wheels to race-air. And Whatever you do, dont put rearwheel air in your front and reverse

Stevep likes this.
  5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Smoke from the plug hole isn't much to worry about, don't forget you switched it off at speed which means that it killed the spark so didn't ignite the fuel that was left in the cylinder and intake still being drawn through. The heat and compression inside the cylinder would dissipate the fuel residue causing the smoke
    If you're that worried do a compression test.

6. Malossi Tom 172

Thanks matey, what's the range of PSI you'd expect from a healthy, yet newish Malossi 172?

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Standard psi is 160 iirc