GPS Satnav question

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by rustyscooter, Nov 2, 2014.

1. rustyscooter

rustyscooter Active Member

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade
    Hi

What do you think would be the best and cheapest GPS Satnav to buy, so that it could be used as a speedometer for a motorbike.

2. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    the cheapest isn't always the best.
    when you buy cheap youll buy again and again and again.
    buy the best and buy once. I personally like the tom tom rider.
    very nice piece of kit and you can pick a used one up for around £150 new they are £300-£350ish but they last. they do what theyre supposed to and they do it very well.

but a good car sat nav such as tom tom, garmin etc etc with a waterproof case will do a good job just as a speedo. Im still set on using the tom tom rider for bikes though :)

rustyscooter likes this.
  3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

i used a tomtom round europe, worked fine for me, had it in my tank bag

rustyscooter likes this.
  4. rustyscooter

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade
    Yes I hear what you say, but I only want something to give me an accurate readout of the speed I am doing, without too much fuss or expense, its well known that the speedometer on an Aerox is not very good.

5. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    use an app on your phone if its one of them modern ones.loads of them on the internet.

rustyscooter likes this.
  6. rustyscooter

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade
    it all gets too complicated for me with ?apps?

I just need to see what my speed is

7. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    the app would work well but it would use up your internet allowance fairly quickly, most contract phone packages even if they claim to be unlimited they almost always have a limit set on it and to work properly they need a constant internet connection which on the move isn't always possible. ive not used one in a while so cant recommend any should you want to go down the app path, id stay away from the cheap navs such as binatone etc and see if you can pick up a older used tomtom or garmin, you can usually get one of those for around £50ish if you go for a old model. map wont be as good but speedo should work. I believe ginge uses a speedo app so he may be able to recommend one if he comes online soon.

8. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
  9. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

ive got an app on my phone that works well, it uses gps so no internet usage, but i use the tomtom more

10. rustyscooter

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade
  11. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    it might but it might not, im not too sure on that. ive just always gone for the buy it once approach and got a proper tom tom/garmin.
    back in the day for low speeds we used to put bicycle speedometers on our handlebars but unless you can somehow get the wheel size etc set in right it wont be 100% accurate.

scubabiker likes this.
  12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

ive got a bicycle speedo on the VF it was a pain to get the tyre size exactly right, but is pretty accurate. it stops at 99KMH tho but it was just a cheap fix til i sourced a speedodrive (which i still havent but like i said, i use the tomtom). quite frankly you dont really need a speedo, you can judge your speed after riding for a little while in traffic

13. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    tbh after riding the same machine for a while I get used to knowing how fast im going by what revs the engine is at by ear but then I do tend to ride heaps of shit and need to learn that :rolleyes:

scubabiker likes this.
  14. rustyscooter

Rides:
    Aerox, Harley, Blade
    the speedo is all over the place and I cant rely on it being a true 30 or 40 depending on the speed limit at the time and the Aerox does not have a rev counter, so a cheap gps seams to be the answer

15. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

just follow behind a car on a 30 limit and feel how fast it is, you should see the speedo on my scoot, it wobbles between 30 and 50 kmh all the time, you just have to guess on it!

16. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    just do what I generally do.
    follow somebody else, chances are theyre going to slow down for a speed camera too. 99/100 people generally do. other than that just don't be a prat with speed, to say you don't speed will be a lie. we all speed. even I do. how do you think I cover 15 miles in 18 minutes :rolleyes:

scubabiker likes this.