Got myself a new toy - VX125

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Stevep, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

So I wasn't really looking for it specifically, but I was trawling through that well known auction site for something to play with; maybe buy two or three to restore and sell on, you know......
    I was looking at a 2014 Lambretta 125, which isn't really a Lambretta, just a badge on a chinese scooter, and I fell upon this 2004 (54) Gilera Runner VX125.
    Within a minute or so my brain had re-painted it and I knew exactly what it was going to look like.
    So that was that, lets have a bid and see where it goes. I thought it would go for somewhere round the £700 mark, which I wouldn't have paid as it does need some work really.
    So I put a limit on myself at £500 and.........I won the auction.
    Made the arrangments and got it back to the garage on sunday morning.
    The previous owner has already had the wheels powder coated and new tyres put on, plus calipers overhauled and new pads, plus replaced the fuel lines and vac hoses.
    He's also replaced the front steering column and forks and front wheel, although they are no good as they are from an 2007 onwards ST127 which has a completely different front end setup, 14" wheel, electronic speedo, although it does all fit in the frame.
    AND IT RUNS.
    It has all the panels, a couple of small cracks but nothing major, even the windscreen is here
    So bonus to me I think.
    Here it is as it stands now. I'll update as I do it;)

upload_2021-11-10_13-39-27.jpeg

ramo likes this.
  2. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Not a bad haul! Lots of potential there

Bar conversion to the new shape might solve the speedo issue:cool:

A decent set of VXs will cost half the bike now tbh so can see why the previous owner has done that. More to mod though eh?

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Actually no.
    I'm not going to go barmy on mods with this one. I've already got the malossi CDI for it, had it for a couple of years now. The previous owner gave me 3 sets of forks, the originals plus 2 lots of ST legs. They have the same size stanchions so I've just swapped them out and now have the lowers ready for a repaint. So that's sorted and the original wheel/speedo drive will go back in. I've also got a 180 4T exhaust under the bench, plus 3 other leader engines hiding under there. Somewhere......
    So it'll stay mostly standard with maybe a mild tune here and there.

The Messenger likes this.
  4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Got some time next week...................wonder where it'll take me............o_O

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I've been eyeing up colours.......
    Debating at the moment whether to keep the wheels red (seeing as they are already freshly powder coated), or have them stripped and go another colour that I have in mind.

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Had to replace the main stand, one leg was bent on it. Bitch that job:mad:, seized bolt as usual but got it out eventually.
    Came across another point with the ST steering tube that made it un-usable in this frame.
    It's about 6mm too long, or to put it another way, the threaded section at the top where the upper bearing seats, the threads stop about 6mm short of the bearing, so you can't tighten it up at all.
    So I grabbed the original steering tube, cleaned it up, checked it over (all good), fitted it with new upper and lower bearings, transferred the legs over (new seals and oil), and into the bike it went. Tightened up all good as it should.:)
    Now I have the proper front wheel on it again. New speedo drive just arrived.:D
    Sorted out the front brake caliper, found new retaining bolts, fitted that, had to strip the
    r cylinder due to crap and crud in it, but eventually it bled up nicely.
    So that's the front end done.:cool:
    I need to strip the carb and chuck it through the ultrasonic cleaner, check the main jet size (just in case). It's not quite right just now......:rolleyes:
    I think I'll have to change the thermostatic switch in the radiator.:( The temp gauge is going up but the fan isn't kicking in, although when I bridge the terminals it does work so I have ruled out the motor not working. I'll change the thermostat as well I think. The gauge is showing hot but I can still keep my hand on the sides of the radiator without burning them, so some wrong readings there me thinks.........
    IMG_20211122_112238.jpg

Thought I'd better check out the transmission side of things, belt and rollers stuff you know,
    sooo glad I did........in one way........but not another..........
    Damn it was full of nasty horrid webs and crap from standing for so long
    IMG_20211123_091050.jpg

But that wasn't the worst part of it.......
    I found something........still alive.........a spider.
    Now I'm no fan of spiders at all.......and particularly these ones.......
    This is a FALSE BLACK WIDOW.

IMG_20211123_092331.jpg
    Needless to say IT, and the entire belt case got put outside and left there three days ago.
    I've replaced the belt cover with another I had under the bench..........

Onwards and upwards

7. The Messenger

The Messenger Active Member

some good progress there :cool:

8. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Well now, hasn't that moved on some today:)
    I need to replace the exhaust with the 180 one I have under the bench, but the exhaust studs are properly corroded and rounded off. The only way to sort that out is to have the engine out and do it on the bench. But I haven't got the space to do that until late next week hopefully. I've a 1200 Bandit and Tuono 125 to sort out first;)
    Changed the multiplug to the headlight, new block and pins, replaced the horn as it was a bit crap, then replaced the high/low switch, indicator switch and horn switch.
    Bled the rear brake, that's all good now.
    Then I decided to put all the panels on so I know that I have everything......except the front mudguard.......
    If it wasn't for the exhaust I could take this for MOT..........
    It looks like a scooter again:D

IMG_20211127_102826.jpg IMG_20211127_111424.jpg IMG_20211127_154117.jpg