Goldwing GL1100/1200 Trike reverse gear retro fit?

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by Stevep, May 14, 2016.

1. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

My 84 year old mate Archie needs a trike with a reverse gear because his driveway is on a slope.
    I'm looking at Goldwing trikes for him, but I really don't want him spending thousands (again) on something thats not going to be suitable.
    I found a couple of GL1100 and GL1200 trikes but I know they don't have the reverse gear on them.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has done a suitable reverse gear conversion, or knows of a reverse kit that can be retro fitted to do the job without burning out the motor.

Any ideas would be welcome

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Solved it.
    Found there is a system that larger caravan owners/companies use on the wheels to steer it into position.
    It's a twin motor setup, obviously with two wheels on the caravan, but one motor can be used to retro fit onto one rear wheel of any trike to give a reverse gear setup.

3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

do they disconnect the reverse when doing the conversion? thats odd....

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

On the early GL's, pre GL1500 models, there was no reverse gear fitted. It wasn't introduced until the GL1500se + Aspencade versions came out.
    The caravan setup utilises a bar or socket that goes into a hole that acts as a lever to engage the motors drive wheels onto the caravans wheels against the tread pattern. You then turn a key switch to supply power to the units and use a remote control to operate and steer the caravan into position. Once the van is in it's final position, turn the key off, move the lever back to disengage the motors from the wheels. Very simple but effective solution.
    This is a type of setup that is used on some caravans, but can be adapted to suit a trike with no reverse gear

[​IMG]

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

ah yeah, like an old moped (solex?) friction drive or whatever its called.
    didnt realise you were talking about an OLDwing.

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Yeah, an OLDwing for an OLD rider and his missus.
    Archie will look a little lost on one I think, he's only 5ft tall, and his missus is about the same.
    Plus at 84 years old, he can't really hold anything up any more, but he doesn't want to stop riding.
    I really hope I can have his vitality if I reach that age.