Gilera VXR200 'just stopped' now won't fire or start

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Neil P, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Neil P

Neil P Member

GILERA Runner VXR 200 2003
    I blew water off from around the carb with the airline while the bike was running, it backfired once and stopped dead.
    Was blowing the water off coincidence or cause, I don't know.

I have taken the plug out, no spark.

The Immobiliser flashing red light on the dashboard has always been flaky, sometimes never flashing when the bike is turned off, replaced the LED, all good again,for a while then it stops flashing for a few days then it starts working again, dodgy push in connection for the LED. But with or without the LED working the bike has always started..never had immobiliser issues. Never previously noticed any flash codes from it once ignition turned on.

So now, when I turn ignition "ON', there are no diagnostic flash codes to help with diagnostics. As soon as the ignition goes "ON" the red flashing LED goes OUT fully , no flashing ..but as far as I remember it always did that .

Tried Master Key, (the brown one with fold out transponder chip), still no spark or start.

How it all started was;
    I had a small fuel leak from LHS, so took all the plastic bodywork off and found leak from fuel pump pipe, tightened it up and ran it.
    Noticed water leak from main water pump pipe, fixed that and bled the coolant system.
    That poured coolant over the head, so with that water dripping off, I could not see if I had fixed the initial leak...hence blowing the airline over the carb/ top of the engine..to blow away XS water that had pooled on the top.

The bike was running fine, blowing the water off and it stopped dead. Standard air filer box, no fancy foam filter.

Anything on top of the engine around the carb that I might have disturbed with the air pressure that would cause a ignition cut out? Only wire I have seen so far is the coolant temp wire.
    Wonder if i have blown something off....

any ideas?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Coil unplugged somehow maybe?

3. Neil P

Neil P Member

Possible, though I did n to have all the plastic work off when I used the airline. I had the seat / helmet box back in place...and the coil is forward of the that, protected by the under seat box. I vaguely examined the LT side of the 'coil' spark creator unit and that all seemed intact. a very small unit , guessing som fancy electronic unit rather than a traditional coil.

It is sat in a heated shed for ht moment, just to see if it will start again in a few day time...but not hopeful

I stopped looking at the point where I just wanted to drive over the think in a truck and take it down the scrap yard :(