Gilera VX - Front Brake Piston

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by zombiegod, Aug 3, 2019.

1. zombiegod

zombiegod Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner VX 125
    I've bled and cleaned the brake and pistons twice today, but one of the pistons refuses to slide in and out, just creeps forward, and stays.

I don't fancy removing the dust rubbers as they're rough as a badgers arse. I remember the last time I tried re-seating them they were a good inch larger, and were a swine to fit.

Is there a kit anywhere of new pistons and a set of seals to buy? Or am I resigned to buying a new front brake kit?

The disc is getting hot!!!

Cheers.

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

You could temporarily remove the dust seals and see if the pisston does the same thing, crud normally builds up in the slots, bitch to clean properly, I use a 1" wire wheel in the dremmel to clean the slots.

zombiegod likes this.
  3. zombiegod

zombiegod Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner VX 125
    Yeah I remember running them for a few days without the dust seals a few years back and they worked fine, but I guess they must be in place for the long term.

I just want to know where to get new seals from.

Mine are rough as a badgers arse, and the last time I removed them they were a nightmare to refit as they expanded so much, I could've rode my bike through them :)

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

A lot of piaggio bikes don't have the seals or pistons listed in the parts books.
    But if you are good you can work out what other bikes have the same caliper.
    I use a tiny Allen key sharpened to a point to get the crud out the grooves.
    At my old work (main stealership) we had proper dentist tools for brake calliper building.

MARSH likes this.
  5. Rickard Pingol

Rickard Pingol Active Member