GILERA RUNNER VX 250

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by CalBro, Feb 6, 2017.

1. CalBro

CalBro New Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner
    Starting point is a 2001 Gilera Runner VX 125. Currently has a 180 engine in it.

Iv bought a Vespa 250 engine to go in it, not too sure what to do with the 180 engine yet.

As I'm converting to carburetor, IV bought a Piaggio X9 250 Flywheel Magneto & stator with the correct plug.

I have simply changed the jets for the same set up as the Piaggio 250 scooters with the carburetor setup; Vespa, Beverly & X9. They all share the same airbox & carburetors.

Main Jet is 100 & Pilot/Idle is a 34. IMG_20170204_120727.jpg IMG_20170204_121219.jpg IMG_20170204_135530.jpg

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

The Walbro carb on those vx's had a 108 main jet as standard.
    Provided of course that it has/had the standard carb on it.

3. CalBro

CalBro New Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner
    UPDATE

Got the engine in, and it's a perfect swap tbh. Just waiting for the new flywheel to arrive so I can swap them.

IMG_20170204_155815.jpg
    IMG_20170204_155759.jpg
    IMG_20170204_155752.jpg
    While I'm waiting for parts, I've swapped everything else from the other engine onto the 250.
    IMG_20170204_164128.jpg

BunnyMum likes this.
  4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Yup, that's a Walbro carb.
    Is that the fuel hose from Adrenaline?
    The silicone stuff?

5. CalBro

CalBro New Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner
    Got bored so stripped the bike back to its frame and gave the whole frame a few coats of black metal paint. Then put everything back on.
    IMG_20170205_175014.jpg
    IMG_20170205_175026.jpg

Also I've been searching the internet for brand new original parts as I want to keep it looking standard but clean. So far I've found brand new, full set of inner panels, feet panels, speedometer surround and switches and brake levers

Still want to get a number plate and light fairing, engine mudguard, engine nut covers, mirrors and windscreen.

6. CalBro

CalBro New Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner
    The fuel pipe came with the bike so I'm not too sure tbh mate. Ive looked at the carb setups for the 250s and it says even on the OEM parts site they have a 100 main and 34 idle.. 180 engine has a 108 main jet buddy.

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I might have some stuff lying around

8. CalBro

CalBro New Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner
    What might you have laying about mate, I'm just waiting for the flywheel atm. Had to buy the flywheel puller as iv never worked on these bigger leader engines before..

9. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I've got 4 vx carbs in the box, all with 108's in them.
    If that fuel hose is the silicone type, better off changing it. It looks nice but splits really easy and tends to bulge after a while.

10. CalBro

CalBro New Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner
    After a closer inspection of the 250 engine once in the bike, I realised most of the components where done up finger tight. So I've tightened everything up and left the engine cover off for now.
    IMG_20170205_165545.jpg

11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I'll check tomorrow, I think I still have a couple of rear engine/mudguards somewhere, I have a couple of rear wheels for sure (not that you need them). I might have a couple of new standard mirrors, the tall screen I fitted to another vx along with the front mudguard.
    Not exactly sure what I have on the shelves vx wise, but I'll check for you.

12. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Where about in the world are you?

13. CalBro

CalBro New Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner
    Ahh mate that would be great, we can sort some doe out for any bits ya got that I'd want. There was a bloke on here, had a DNA GTS 300 on carb.. changed Flywheel and stator and it was fine.. I just want to make sure I get the carb setup perfect as I no it's different from the 125,180&200s.. IV seen its 108 & 34 so gonna try that 1st.

14. CalBro

CalBro New Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner
    I'm in Hornchurch RM11 London mate.. yourself ?!

15. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

North Birmingham, far away from YAM YAM land

Don't try running it without the airbox on, those engines don't like it one bit, and the air/fuel mix screw can also affect the idle speed quite considerably.
    Did you notice if the variator fixed plate has the shim washer in there, or have you not looked yet?
    It needs to have one or it will strip the splines in the fixed half.

16. CalBro

CalBro New Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner
    Yeah all the washers are there it was all lose though. YAM YAM land loool!! Just want to get carb setup right really. Would be good to get a full set of old shape good condition panels if ya know anyone haha

17. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Old shape panels are like rockin'horse shite, and when you can find them in decent used condition, they're like £30 for one front indicator panel plus the postage. Thinking about it I'm sure I have a silver left hand side panel in the rafters. If i remember right it's off a runner 50, dunno if it fits the vx though. Might have some new rear indicators.

18. CalBro

CalBro New Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner
    How much would you want for one of the carbs as I want to rebuild the whole 180 engine so it's complete, need an exhaust aswell, gonna get a bare frame(any bike that takes these engines tbh), and make a off road scooter, with knobly offroad tyres, n just a seat n digital speedometer haha

19. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I do have a standard 180 exhaust on the bottom shelf, bloody heavy great lump.
    Carbs not for sale sorry, valuable assets. Seeing as I have vx engines on the shelf waiting to be done.;)
    Was just thinking I have a seat and bucket, practically new, but it's for a 2010 and later runner 50, so wouldn't fit your frame.
    I'll have a good look and let you know what I have.

20. CalBro

CalBro New Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner
    No worries mate I really appreciate it, IV got standard 180 exhaust, but I want to keep that with the 180 lump, and source a new shape exhaust, one on eBay for £70 or best offer, might offer £50.. looks in good condition too tbh..

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017