gilera runner vx 125/ vxr 180 setup. HELP!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by mattyt2010, Sep 24, 2011.

1. mattyt2010

mattyt2010 Member

Rides:
    gilera runner vx 125
    hi there converted my 04 plate gilera runner vx 125 that fitted a vxr 180 piston and cylinder on to and was wondering what setup i will need ? rollers, carb jets, clutch springs ect ect. ? any help would be great. thanks

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    180 cylinder head/carb/ final drive gear or gearbox.

3. mattyt2010

mattyt2010 Member

Rides:
    gilera runner vx 125
    thanks for the reply mate and it runs with the 125 carb and head just bogs out every now and again. i thought the 180 carb was the same ? and gearbox ? wouldn't it be faster with the 125 gearbox (ratios and stuff) ? thanks

4. xplicit vehicle

xplicit vehicle Member

Rides:
    PGO Big Max 50
    did u upjet?

5. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    The carb is the same but has a bigger main jet in the 180, it will be under geared with the 125 gearbox, use 180.(higher top speed)

6. mattyt2010

mattyt2010 Member

Rides:
    gilera runner vx 125
    no pal do you no what size i will need ? thanks

7. mattyt2010

mattyt2010 Member

Rides:
    gilera runner vx 125
    oooh right no problem mate thanks for the info. do you no what size jet is needed for it then mate. and is it just the main jet ? or pilot aswell ? thanks.

8. xplicit vehicle

xplicit vehicle Member

Rides:
    PGO Big Max 50
    lol honestly theres no exact jet, and it's the main jet that needs to be changed. u need to buy a box but it's better to start of richer and go down. as for your rollers etc. i wouldnt honestly know

9. mattyt2010

mattyt2010 Member

Rides:
    gilera runner vx 125
    thanks for the reply mate today i bought and fitted a vxr 180 gearbox and carb and its sorted it but it is still boging down slightly when going flat out. and sometimes cuts out wen idling but have a split in the inlet and air box pipe wich i taped up. the new ones should be here tomorrow so i will fit them and see if that cures the problems. any clues if it could be anything different ? many thanks.

10. xplicit vehicle

xplicit vehicle Member

Rides:
    PGO Big Max 50
    sounds like a incorrect fuel mixture. see how it goes after u fitted ur new parts. anything could change

11. mattyt2010

mattyt2010 Member

Rides:
    gilera runner vx 125
    ok mate thanks. al get back to you and let you no how it go's pal thanks

12. LRDscooters

LRDscooters New Member

Rides:
    speedfight 182
    upjet the carb mate make sure the air filter is clean and the spark plug is good all the running gear is the same apart from the gear ratio but thier is such a small diffrence if its boggin its defo in need of upjet but dont go mad are the valves clean / tappits set at 1.0 inlet & 1.5 exhaust this is a must when it come to these ped

13. LRDscooters

LRDscooters New Member

Rides:
    speedfight 182
    i have had a thought if poss check the stator its very common they start crumbling which causes a mis spark i had this on mine they go around the 20,000 mile mark let me know how you get on bud .... give me a shout if you need any bits ...

14. mattyt2010

mattyt2010 Member

Rides:
    gilera runner vx 125
    ok thanks pal i will check all them tomorrow but just wondering do i go up 1 or 2 sizes on the carb jet ? thanks

15. mattyt2010

mattyt2010 Member

Rides:
    gilera runner vx 125
    the 180 kit wasn't working out so i changed every thing back to standard. now there is a weird knocking on the top end. any ideas? the valve timing apears to be right but there were no timing mark on to flywheel so i put the piston to tdc and marked it myself. the valve clearance is set 0.10 inlet and 0.15 outlet but it still sounds different than before. i'm stuck ? thanks

16. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    The timing mark on the flywheel is realy close to one of the 3 pegs that drive the water pump. As you know the 3 pegs, one is offset slightly and must fit the pump, it can be fitted wrong. Look closely and you will find the timing arrow on flywheel, this matches a tiny pointer on the plastic water pump disc, at tdc you can see the pointer through the kidney bean inspection hole. Cam gear has 2v/4v, you need it at 4v. Also check the cam loabs for wear.

17. mattyt2010

mattyt2010 Member

Rides:
    gilera runner vx 125
    took bike to a garage. they siad all top ends gone and engine is f**ked so sadly got to get another engine. anyone have a spare vx 125 lying around for sale ? lol thanks

18. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

That's two different things? If just the top end has gone some how :confused: then it's not a huge cost to replace but it is insanely hard to find vx engines. Scooter Center sells replacement bits quite cheap.

19. LRDscooters

LRDscooters New Member

Rides:
    speedfight 182
    hi mate how is the repair coming on sorry i went away for 2 wks .... hope all is good

20. LRDscooters

LRDscooters New Member

Rides:
    speedfight 182
    high dude it sounds like something has come lose or brokern check the cam chain slipper and the stator flywheel can cause loud knocking if the timing is out on the spark