Gilera Runner SP172 Centre Stand Bending

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Isaac Lightfoot, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Isaac Lightfoot

Isaac Lightfoot New Member

Hi guys,
    Just a quick question,
    Fitted a centre stand on my Runner, the old bolt and spacer was stuck in the frame so had to use oxy-acetylene and an air chisel to get it out, once everything was fitted I noticed that when the bike is on the stand it is leaning over to the right, a rather large friend of mine sat on the bike and it leant even more when on the stand, found out that the bottom part of the frame that the stand bolts on to was rotten on the left side, after welding everything is much stiffer and stronger, although it still bends easily and is now leaning over again even after welding and straightening everything up.
    Is this a known common problem ? it may sound as if my frame is completely cream crackered but it is all sorted now and any rust has been sorted. I find it so irritating as the rest of the bike is perfect and in very good condition.
    Thanks
    Isaac

2. gilly_runner

gilly_runner Member

Rides:
    Gilera runner
    Yes this is a common fault i brought a runner 125 a few months later i noticed it was lening so i bent to back two days later the silent block and stand snapped off the frame :( , i had to buy a new frame after this happend as the engine would move and the whole bike virbrated as if every bearing in the engine was shot lool, if i was you i would fit a side stand and remove centre stand to stop it happening again

3. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I'll put some pictures up of my typhoon, it uses the same set up, i just cut all the rotten frame out and welded a new piece in. Easy.

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    My frame on one of my typhoons rusted away, I just cut it out and welded in some steel box section, work's fine now! SDC11592.JPG SDC11593.JPG SDC11594.JPG SDC11595.JPG