gilera runner sp polishing side case?

Discussion in 'Visual Modifications' started by 2smoker180, Jun 21, 2014.

1. 2smoker180

2smoker180 Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner SP 180
    Hello all I haven't been on here in a while, how's everyone enjoying the weather? :)

Anyway I'm half way through polishing my case I have just done fairy liquid and a washing up sponge with 1200 wet and dry.. looks ok, then I rubbed autosol I done three four times.. and it's still kinda dull only shiny in a few spots...any tips ?
    Thanks

2. 2smoker180

2smoker180 Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner SP 180
    And it's slightly got little pits

Attached Files:

3. bogey

bogey Active Member

I'd suggest taking it to a polisher and let them charge £20 and it would look the dogs bollox rather than wasting. 40 hours of your life you'll never get back.

4. 2smoker180

2smoker180 Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner SP 180
    Haha u no what that sounds alright I just wanted to have a go at it... I'm going out now cba lol gonna go put it back on ..go to the polished I think they wanted 30pound

5. bogey

bogey Active Member

I once did a full set of car wheels. Use to do it everyday in my dinner hour at work, took me over 3 months from memory, they looked really nice but I'd never do it again.

6. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    I know all about this subject, as I worked on reformulating Solvol Autosol as a project for the parent company, Hermetite Holdings, back in the early '90s. Back then I worked as a lubricants chemist but I also worked on oddball speciality products such as this. Does Autosol still have a smell of Pine Oil and White Spirits about it? If it does, it's the formulation I came up with.

For your case, you need a heavier grade polishing compound containing medium grade Aluminium Oxide, to be able to 'cut' into the metal and bring out the shine more quickly. This stuff comes in bars like gold ingots and is used on high-speed mops on proper polishing machines. I'd leave it to the experts if you want it to look 100%.

Autosol contains fine grade Aluminium Oxide and Tripoli Powder (Diatomaceous Earth and Limestone) as the abrasives, to give a more gentle 'cut' to the metal surface. Polishing also causes these fine particles to grind against each other and grind themselves even finer, which is why the final shine is so good.

I can probably remember most of that Autosol formulation, even after all these years. Why Pine Oil is used in the product is a trade secret. ;)

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  7. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Sizal mops and polishing soap and 3000rpm double ended shaft with about 3hp of 3 phase is what i used to use polishing Harley Davidson cases for a local H.A chapter years back.better than a rag and cream any day.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  8. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000