Gilera Runner FX125

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Banshee, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

10 psi will blow your finger off the plug hole. You can't measure any form of compression in that way.

2. 1nsane

1nsane New Member

No sh*t sherlock ;-) he asked for rudimentary ways to check so he gets :)

3. Banshee

Banshee New Member

So I purchased the bike from my neighbor as a project and now I plan on using it depending on the shift pattern that I might have to work on the new job the traffic can be atrocious.

So I got it into the garage and cleaned it all up and in fairness it cleaned up fantastic. Drained what few drops of petrol that were left in the tank, drained the 2 stroke that had some how got water in with it, replaced the 2 stroke line from the tank under the seat to the carb.

I ripped the carb off, cleaned that all out and the jets which were a bit clogged up in fairness but the carb cleaner was really powerful stuff and made light work of the job. The neighbor in a last ditch attempt to get it started to try and squeeze more money out of me swapped the spark plug but didn't put the lead back on [​IMG] popped that back on pronto.

Filled it back up with fresh 2 stroke and 5 litres of unleaded, connected a car battery to it and hey presto it turned over and fired [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It goes really well, I've only tested it on the private estate we live on as it's not Taxed and MOT'd yet etc etc and I've had it at 50mph [​IMG] feels like there's lots more left in it so maybe it will do 80mph top end [​IMG]

4. Banshee

Banshee New Member

Here's the machine now it's had a nice clean :thumb2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nasty 2 stroke line and clips
    [​IMG]

And here's me about to give the Carb and the jets a clean.
    [​IMG]

5. Banshee

Banshee New Member

Managed to get into a battery place in Warwick on my half a day last Friday and grabbed a maintenance free lead acid battery to replaced the one that came with the scooter.

£21, connected it all up and the electric start now works and the indicators have started to play ball as well and actually flash as they are supposed to rather than just come on and stay on glowing until you switched them off, it also seems to run better when cold since the new battery has gone on :)

[​IMG]

A question to those of you specifically with Gilera Runners, how long should it take for the bike to get to temperature as I was out on the bike for about 10 mins the other day and when I got back the temperature gauge still hadn't moved from it's resting position. Is there any way I can check the cooling system is working?

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't even checked the bike has any coolant :O slapped wrist for me, from what I have seen in the manual the coolant tank is behind the plastics on the front?

I'll whip them off when I get a chance and take a look what's occurring.

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Take the cap off the bottle behind the front panel, start the bike.
    There is a small diameter pipe coming into the upper half of the bottle
    You should be able to feel a small jet of water being pumped back into it, this means the water pump is working.
    Don't overfill the bottle or it will run out everywhere and you won't feel the jet coming through.
    The temp sender switch is located in the cylinder head, single wire to it.
    To check the temp gauge, pull the wire off and ground it to the engine and watch the needle rise to the top.

7. Banshee

Banshee New Member

Beauty!!!!

8. Banshee

Banshee New Member

Merry Christmas guys :cool:

Just a few quick things I wanted to say and ask.

I'm going to take a look at the temp sender later on this evening as I took the scooter out for a good run last night and it should have deffo been up to operating temperature as I wasn't going slowly. The bike feels great, no misfire, pulls well and doesn't seem to want to stop going.

2 quick questions I have though, 1. What pressure should I be running in the front and rear tyres? 2. How do i remove the front panels to gain access to the coolant tank.

I have a very very bad record with plastic trim panels and damaging clips!!!

9. Banshee

Banshee New Member

Oh!!!!!!!!!! More importantly

It's in for MOT tomorrow!!! Wish me luck

10. Banshee

Banshee New Member

Well the scooter passed it's MOT with no advisories so I'm totally thrilled :D, they were very pleased to see it after so long as it was originally brought via them brand new back in 1999

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]