Gilera runner 50cc sp 2010 EXHAUST

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Petebox23, Feb 19, 2017.

?

Replace casing or not

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Petebox23

Petebox23 New Member

Hi guys
    I have bought my old ped back after it was written off and i have come to the forums to ask a question.
    All it needs is a new exhaust and some engine casing and a flywheel cover. Please see attached picture. Would i be able to fit on an exhaust with the top bolt hole missing? (Just the one bolt) and then cover up damage with the flywheel cover? Im about to purchase an exhaust and didnt want to have to fork out for a whole engine just to replace the casing. If possible would it still pass an MOT also?
    [​IMG]

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    i doubt a single bolt would hold the exhaust for very long before that sheered off to, you dont need a new engine or to buy a whole engine you just need the right side crank case.

without exhaust it wont pass, the the broken case it would maybe pass but your risking water ingress via that area and that could fry your stator, rust up your magneto and then you have a problem getting it off .

in all honesty a second hand right crank case replacement, that way you know your exhaust hanger points will be there and that exhaust will stay put and water is going to be kept away from that stator and magneto

Petebox23 likes this.
  3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

The stator tolerates a fair bit of water/rust, but the seal behind it doesnt really.
    I think it would be up to the mot tester really, as long as its secure and not wobbly it shouldnt flat out fail.
    But its best to change it really
    Its a fairly common part used on a lot of engines so shouldnt be too hard to find used.

Petebox23 likes this.
  4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

When you get the replacement engine case, take the opportunity and replace crank bearings and seals as well.
    Clean the engine up, maybe paint it, make it look sweet.