Gilera Runner 50 Keeps Cutting Out

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by gamecelt, Jun 24, 2019.

1. gamecelt

gamecelt Member

Bought a Gilera Runner 50 2 stroke engine. Wouldn't start. Put new spark plug in started. Ran around the block. Starts slow but then go fast quick. Then when coming to standstill cuts out. Won't start until engine cooled.

Checked oil reservoir and it smelt like some sweet smelling liquid had been put in.

So, checked water coolant bottle and radiator. Looked like oil at some point had been put in water coolant bottle (Don't ask why!).

Took pipes off radiator, oil residue definitely there.

So I am thinking someone mistakenly put oil in the water coolant bottle and coolant in the oil reservoir (at some point).

I put oil in the correct place and coolant in the correct place just to see. Bike starts okay,, runs well but still cuts out when coming to standstill.

I am thinking its over heating and the coolant bottle, pipes and oil container need replacing?

What are your thoughts and any more insight will help.

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Sounds like its getting hot.

3. gamecelt

gamecelt Member

I don't know whether it a bit early to say this issue is resolved but had it running now for 1 hour and not cut out.

What I did was undo the pipes going in to the engine just to see if fluid was getting through. It was. Then I put some coolant degreaser (treatment) in the coolant bottle. Let the engine run for 15 minutes so this went through system. It cut out once in that time. Started it up again and left it to tick over for 40 minutes. Didn't cut out so took it for a good ride. No issues.

The temperature gauge on the dashboard stayed at a steady six notches which is just under half way.

So not sure if the cooling system needed a good clean but this seems to have worked. If it doesn't Ill let you know.