Gilera Runner 300 4T Project

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Davey.Boy, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Davey.Boy

Davey.Boy Member

I've been looking at making this work for a while, picked up 75% of a Derbi GP1 250 a few months back and after almost a year of searching & a 220 miles round trip into the middle of London of Sunday picked up a complete GTS300 Engine & Electrics to get the project off the ground.
    I spent most a good few hours Yesterday loosely fitting the engine into the frame, I ended up using a mix of the Runner & GTS engine mountings.
    I've mock fitted the Forks, I'll have to get a set of Yolks made up to take the massive upside down Marzocchi Forks, ironically they look very similar to the 'Monster' Forks PM have not long released.
    I'm using the Derbi Wheels, both 14", may have to fit the Derbi Gearbox as the GTS runs a 12" Rear so I'm not 100% as to the the ratios.
    I'm also using the Derbi AJP Brakes, Twin Radial Fronts so Its running Twin discs, need to buy the 'Step-Up' plate to fit the rear caliper as the GP1 uses a larger rear disc?
    The Rear Runner Bitubo Shocks Seem to fit ok, need to refit the GTS Exhaust/Support Plate to mount the otherside, I'm looking at using a PM 'Scomadi' Pipe to rid the original concrete silencer that rot to bits.
    I'll get the pics I took at various stages loaded onto Photobucket and attached into the post, I took them on the highest resolution so there around 4-5mb each!

2. Davey.Boy

Davey.Boy Member

A few pictures of the Engine & Loom, I've already removed the Exhaust, Support Plate & fitted the Derbi rear wheel & disc...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. m1ck_t

m1ck_t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    alot of shit
    Nice to see something a bit different for a change, this going into a runner did you say?

4. Davey.Boy

Davey.Boy Member

Yes, I'm building it into a 2003 Gilera Runner VX125 Frame for now, once I'm happy with it I'll probably find a later 200 frame to stick it in.

5. Davey.Boy

Davey.Boy Member

I've removed the ugly standard exhaust and have bought a PM Scomadi PM80 full stainless system, the VX Bitubo Shocks seem to fit nicely although as the runner top shock mounts are slightly further forward they just catch the GTS Airbox, I'll try the GP1 & Standard Runner Airboxes if they'll fit.
    I've loosely bolted everything together, hence why the engine appears to be touching the frame.

6. Davey.Boy

Davey.Boy Member

A few lower quality pics of the build so far:-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    nice :D... you leaving the engine alone or are you gonna play with/replace the injection system? engine looks a little over to the right in one of the pics, might just be the cam.. does it track up ok? keep it up, is good to see something different

8. Gilly Boi Mike 70

Gilly Boi Mike 70 New Member

nice project i would love to build something like this

9. Davey.Boy

Davey.Boy Member

I'll leave it standard for now, I think to be honest It'll be quick enough and hopefully sound pretty good too...
    I do have the complete Loom, Carb etc from the Derbi GP1 250 so I could have just converted it to run with those, although as I'm sure you'll agree it'll be fun to play with the injection system.

kro likes this.
  10. Davey.Boy

Davey.Boy Member

The PM Scomadi arrived today, has the 'PM' Logo on a stainless plate rather than just being a sticker!
    Has been a bloody pain in the arse getting it to fit as the Downpipe has the 'PM Curl' & the original Lambda Sensor so it doesn't fit with the standard Runner VX Engine Mounting, I've now swapped this for a DNA 125 mounting, I've had to destroy the silent block on both mountings so will have to order a new one to figure out exactly where the engine will sit & if the mounting needs some tweeking to clear the sensor.
    Heres a few more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Looks a interesting Project... That pipe is defiantly different ....

12. reg

reg New Member

Yeah that pipe really does! never seen anything like it. Can't wait to see this finished.. Good luck dude

13. nrgandy

nrgandy New Member

think that pipe could do with cutting and welding at a better angle looks good though!

14. Davey.Boy

Davey.Boy Member

Its tipped forward in the pics as the Lambda sensor just catches the engine mount so the pipes just loosely bolted up, It sits quite low anyway as its designed for a GTS300 with a big derriere! :grin:

15. Davey.Boy

Davey.Boy Member

Got the Airbox sorted now, the GP1 Airbox with the GTS300 Airbox to Throttle Body rubber pipe, I've now ordered a new Silent Block so hopefully that should be here for the weekend, all being well I can get the engine bolted in & possibly start sorting the mass of wiring... :confused:hock:

16. reg

reg New Member

Ouch.. Electrical. Absolutely hate it :p

17. Davey.Boy

Davey.Boy Member

I've had various dibbles with electrics before, finding homes for the Fuses, Relays, Coil & Rectifier is the fun bit, theres almost twice as much as the standard runner loom, no CDI to worry about though as its built into the Throttle Body :huh:
    I'd like to keep it with standard bars with the Headset Panels, need to figure out someway of using the Koso GP Clocks, everything I can find says there only suitable for 2 Stroke Runners due to the Rev Counter but surely theres a way of converting the pulse so they can be used?
    I'm still trying to work out how to get the GP1 Forks to fit, there too fat just to machine out standard VX Yokes as there upside down, don't want to end up with them looking out of proportion to the rest of the project or mess up the handling...

18. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    the clocks wioll work.. easiest way is to just take the cover off and tidily stick some stickers over the numbers... lol the problem is they will only read half the revs, as its induction loop'd you cant physically resist or add voltage to trick it into reading correctly.. there microchip nasty inside too. nothing you can do but live wiht it reading wrong. who the fuck needs a rev counter on the avarage ped tho? especially when its twice the size of the speedo :confused:

thought about just swapping out your stockers for blue bulbs and printing a skin to install into the clocks. was verry common up untill a few years ago, could probably still find some to print out if you looked hard enough

19. Davey.Boy

Davey.Boy Member

I can understand what your saying, I owned an SP a while back with a set of Koso's and quite liked them, not a keen fan of the standard clocks & the speedo is calibrated to guess your speed. I'll get most of the wiring sorted and see what other options there are.

20. Davey.Boy

Davey.Boy Member

I've been doing a bit of research today regarding sorting the Fuel Pump & Ignition Pulse problem.
    I've found a guide to making a 'Pulse Divider' as used with a dual fire ignition, would be interesting to see if theres a way to reverse this?
    I'm also now on the lookout for a Runner Purejet Fuel Pump System which should fit straight on without any modification, I'll pull the panels of my Purejet to check exactly how everything is routed.