Gilera Runner 180 backfiring

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Matic1234, May 30, 2019.

1. Matic1234

Matic1234 Member

My gilera runner 180 2t keeps burning the fuse that is next to the battery. When i am at a red light for a long time it just backfires and turns off when i want to drive and then i have to change the spark plug and its ok. Also the pinasco rev limiter doesnt work so im thinkingg its a bad stator or magnet but i dont know how to check. I think the jetting is ok because i have a 85 main jet and 21mm phbg carb with runner 50cc airbox without foam.

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

You can quite easily check the stator with a multimeter if you have one. I got mine from ebay £7.99 Bargain.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  3. Matic1234

Matic1234 Member

How? What do i have to check?

4. milo2025

You need to check the stator, to see if that's the reason your rev limiter isn't working. I had lots of backfiring issues with my speedfight but that was for a different reason. Peoples reactions were priceless! :D

5. milo2025

...but in the times we live in not good really so had to get it sorted asap :oops:

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

If it's poppin the main fuse you have a serious short issue. I'd have all the panels off and start checking meticulously before something burns out completely.

7. milo2025

I'm with Steve on that one. If you experience a complete burnout it could spell disaster for your scoot.

8. Matic1234

Matic1234 Member

Its it not shorting probably because the fuse doesnt burn immediately. When the engine is off ita fine but when i turn it on the metal part in the fuse becomes darker after some time and then in just pops. I think that if it would be shorting it would probably burn the fuse when i turn on the bike.

9. Matic1234

Matic1234 Member

What should be the voltage on the red wire and on the green wire when the bike is running?

10. Matic1234

Matic1234 Member

I took off all panels today and the wires look fine

11. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Sounds like it's over charging maybe?

12. Matic1234

Matic1234 Member

I bought new fuses and they gave me 5a ones instead od 15a when i put 15a today it was ok. But the rev limiter still doesnt work on my bike but it worked on my friends bike.