gilera runner 172 or 210cc 4t?

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by vespafalc153, Apr 26, 2017.

1. vespafalc153

vespafalc153 New Member

hi all, considering a new project and thinking of doing a naked Gilera runner, want a quickish engine, anywhere from 18bhp plus, like the idea of a 210cc as its a 4t so slightly more reliable as it will be used as a daily, its probably worth mentioning I only have a CBT currently so has to be based on a 125, i normally have Vespa's so this is new to me any advice is welcome, 172cc 2t or 210cc 4t cheers

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that you're planning to do the A2 license then?
    Either way, buy the 2t or 4t runner, pop on to pmtuning site, buy the kit, fit and go.

3. vespafalc153

vespafalc153 New Member

im 25 so will be doing the unrestricted full bike licence eventually, I've heard a few horror stories about the 210 kits blowing up, would you say the 172 2t are more reliable? Cheers

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

There are horror stories about every kit out there if you want to find them.
    They only thing most of us on here would say is:
    Run it in properly; 300 miles at the least between 30 and 40 mph tops, no more.
    no excessive revving,
    let it warm up normally on tickover before you go off,
    use a good grade oil like Castrol

I normally run a tank of fuel through with some extra oil in the fuel first after a re-build on the stand, outside the garage.
    Just letting it tick over for 15/20 minutes at a time.
    Then let it cool down completely and start again.
    During this process, you will have to check/clean/change the plug regularly because it will soot up.
    Then I do the same again with oil in the fuel but steady 30 mph speeds
    Then same again up to 40 mph, no more.

Proper running in of a new cylinder is key