Gilera runner 172 gesrs advice anyone got experience

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by 2 stroke lover, Feb 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. 2 stroke lover

2 stroke lover New Member

Rides:
    Honda,aprilia,gilera
    Hi everyone

got a 172 gilera runner lc engine heres brief spec:

172mallosi kit
    52 full circle crank
    25ml delorto carb
    Polini variator
    Mallosi clutch
    Open cone type air filter.
    Stage 6 reed block
    Carbon reeds
    Malossi belt.

Using standard 125 gears at the moment and wondering what the gesr options are see alot of 180 gesrboxes being used and wonder wether these are a better all round option over mallosi or polini gears. Maybey the malosi or polini ones take away pull off or top end. If anyones run the different ones and can off advice that be great

Thank you

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    The std 180 box will work fine or malossi secondary gear kit. Set the transmission to suit you, play with rollers springs, nothing work's straight out the box !

3. 2 stroke lover

Rides:
    Honda,aprilia,gilera
    Cheers marsh

I know what you mean, lol i can afford to play about with springs, weights, jetting all the small stuff that really makes the difference in hiw they drive And what not.

But cant really warrant spending the £100 on 180 gears when malossi ones would have been better.

i bet they are different on all bikes but jus hoped someone might have a broad idea of what to expect from each one. I was thinking less teeth means less to turn the wheel meaning more acceleration but reaches end of gear quicker meanin less top end speed.

Probly wrong there.

:p

4. 2 stroke lover

Rides:
    Honda,aprilia,gilera
    If you put secondary gear up on do you get a flat spot in the middle of rev range. I dunno

5. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    You will need a gear kit or you'll end up over revving the engine doing 70mph ish cos it's under geared, all depends on what you want from it? Acceleration or top speed? A 180 box will be perfect all round, poss green springs. I personally use to use all std 180 variator not 125, 12.5 g std rollers, blue springs 180 box. You'll only get a flat spot if it's set up wrong. I wouldn't use a malossi variator if you gave it me!

6. 2 stroke lover

Rides:
    Honda,aprilia,gilera
    Great thank you for that marsh really apreciate it. Did think that the 180 box was a safe bet all round so will go for that for now. Why not malossi. Is it because they over rev the engine or something else.

7. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    You could use the Malossi secondary gear (press fit) but if you can get hold of a 180 box I'd go for that.

8. 2 stroke lover

Rides:
    Honda,aprilia,gilera
    Yep will do. Saves a trip to local trading eatate to use a press aswell that way Thanks again.