gilera runner 172 carb advice which one is best

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by sr125, Dec 4, 2010.

1. sr125

sr125 New Member

i have got a runner 125 ,with a 172 kit ,scorpion exhust ,airfilter what carb would you advice me to get and where from cheers

2. northrider

northrider Member

i think a 28mm would be good you can use a 30mm but thats not really ideal for road use and will drink petrol

3. monty9120

monty9120 Active Member

Rides:
    Vespa gts300
    get a 25mm delorto for a minor setup like that. piss easy to set up and the difference will be immense

4. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    theres lots of opinions about this.... but what really settles me is the fact malossi chose to run a dell carb... they dont drink massive ammounts of fuel, dont make stupid ammounts of noise, give good gains and are ~EASY and cheap to get parts for... pwk/flatslide carbs will give you gains over a round slide carb, but this is usually at trhe expense of fuel econimy... as in, lots of extra fuel for a tiny little bit more... i find them verry spitty at part throttle aswell...

basicly... make your own mind up, theres no best carb, just best for the job... i cant nock the dell 25 for a road engine,. good power, good econimy, dont heat up engines and again, there everywhere and prittymuch the industry standard for a road tune :) not that i nadvise against pwk/flat slide carbs... if your going this route tho use a fucking decent one not one of these cheapo chineese copy's.... even the "genuine" keihin carbs out there are of sub standard quality (i sent one back to allens performance 2 years ago in favor of the bgm/stage 6 version... MUCH better cut on it) plus theres quality issues liek anything from china.. fact is, even if you drill the parts that are missing, replace all the jets with something close to correct and get the thing setup nicely its still cheap casting a cheapo slide and a load of cheap ass little bits thrown in there... fucked threads sticky slides and worn carb body's after a few weeks hard wheelying isnt unheard of.

5. Neil P

Neil P Member

What is the original carb for a Runner 125 ST ?

Mine is Keihin marked CVK 3066aHF. Jets are 35s. and 98.
    I assumed the '30' indicated a 30mm carb ?.

6. seancullen

seancullen Member

Rides:
    et4 125,px80,dna50
    holy shit old thread is old, the original carb will be a dellorto 20.5, the main jet is an 86 in the runner 125 and the main jet is 90 in the 180

7. Neil P

Neil P Member

The previous owner has just dropped the manual around for me. Looks like the CVK30 I have is the original for this model that I have. Thanks for the inof thoug..potentially have an earlier model to go look at later this week.

Mine is a 2010

8. seancullen

seancullen Member

Rides:
    et4 125,px80,dna50
    oh right thats a four stroke runner then, this thread relates to 2 strokes

9. Neil P

Neil P Member

Ah OK..too new to scooters to know that a '172' is a two stroke... this is my first scooter..only had full frame style conventional bikes before this scooter.

10. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    the 2t runners were the sp, fx and fxr.. the new shapes are runner st, the old shape runner 4t was a vx or vxr
    old threads are good, bring em all up. old knowledge is more usefull than repetition

11. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    and yes, these have a 30mm cv type carb, dont bother tunning it/playing with it, 4t engines are expensive to tune and dont really perform well. buy a 200 engine and dump it in. bolt in conversion/same engine essentially. a 250/300 conversion is possible, and still probably less than the cost of every malossi part you need to make these half decent LOL same goes for any 4t gilera/piaggio.. just use the more powerfull engines they already produce in standard form. power and reliability. or 2 stroke and let the fun start ;)