Gilera runner 125, keeps cutting out

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by M_I_K_E-18, Aug 10, 2010.

1. M_I_K_E-18

M_I_K_E-18 Member

Right gilera runner 125, 2 stroke, when I start it up I have to keep the revs on for it to start then as soon as I let go og the throttle it cuts out straight away,

I have changed the petrol tap and the reeds, do'nt know what else it could be, someone please help, Its got an air filter and is upjetted

2. jakey2482

jakey2482 New Member

this happend to me once, turned out that the jet had fallen out and was in the bottem of the carb XD

3. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

a bit of dirt in your pilot jet, or your idle mixture could be too lean due to the open filter, or the chokes not working...

4. sammyboi

sammyboi New Member

Rides:
    gilera runner
    yeah what they said^ :cool:

5. M_I_K_E-18

M_I_K_E-18 Member

How would I adjust the idle mixture, and I've checked the jets, and there's no dirt etcand how would I know if the choke is working properly ?

6. jakey2482

jakey2482 New Member

Lend a mates choke and try it

7. GUNS

GUNS the usual suspect

Rides:
    racing SP70 & LX172
    by capri dave » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:27 am

remove the choke unit from the carb and connect a 12v battery up to the choke unit terminals, after a few minutes measure if the choke plunger has moved downwards aprox 5mm.

if theres no difference the choke unit is faulty....it's also worth spraying a bit of wd40 in the choke housing, the plungers sometimes stick

8. jakey2482

jakey2482 New Member

I think its eaayer to just lend a mates ;)

9. M_I_K_E-18

M_I_K_E-18 Member

Thanks for that, will give it a try tomorrow

10. jamesknowles1991

jamesknowles1991 New Member

Rides:
    gilrea runner 125 sp
    the idel screw is a big black one on the side of the carb if ur is the same as mine( i posted my carb on here one ill post link) turn it all the way in the 2 and half turn out or 3 dont matter but that should do it it would run with a choke but will make the bike run rich wont make no diffrence

11. jamesknowles1991

Rides:
    gilrea runner 125 sp
    here it is

its about 5 one down

http://scootershack.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19296

12. M_I_K_E-18

M_I_K_E-18 Member

Thanks for that, I have managed to get it to start without cuting out but when I rev it now its making a noise like somethings rubbing on something, it sounds like when you let a tyre down and you can hear the air coming out it sounds just like that,

13. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

air leak somewhere or a pipe come adrift somewhere...

would also explain your missing idle ;)

14. jamesknowles1991

Rides:
    gilrea runner 125 sp
    that cool mate i had the same problem it was near my rad but after a while it went away but where does the sound come from try and trace it i mean i got a lil tapping noise well i think i do but only when it cold lol