Gilera Motom 48

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Motoman, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Motoman

Motoman New Member

Bit of a long shot but here goes...

Does anyone know about restoring and running a Gilera Motom 48 (from about 1960). Unsurprisingly most of the information I can find is in Italian. [​IMG]

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

If the bikes complete it should be fairly straight forward
    That looks like an oil tank behind the seat, could mean it's either 2 stroke or 4 stroke with a dry sump and pump
    If that's the actual bike in the photo, and the price was right, that'd be in my garage for a full resto jobbie
    Google is your friend with these things for checking out how it looked originally
    I have found one using an image search, says its a four stroke, good fuel mileage, 50kmph in third gear.

Whats your plans for it?

3. Motoman

Motoman New Member

Thanks for your reply. I was just trying to find out a bit more because I may buy one. A classic car dealer near me has some sitting at the side of his workshop and I finally asked if they are for sale. They are. All non-runners but I thought it might be interesting to restore.

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

A number of things I look at before I buy older bikes, is it complete, can I get spares that may be required or spurrious parts that can be used like pistons, bearings and the like.
    Is there a market for it and can it be sold for a decent profit.
    The stuff on that looks fairly straightforward.
    I would look for frame rot, certainly make sure that seat tube comes out easily enough and the engine turns over freely.
    Even if it doesn't start, its not the end, no where near.
    But I would modify it to at least get to 40 mph if used on today's roads.