Gilera DNA 125cc bore to a 180cc

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by MrPig92, Oct 10, 2013.

1. MrPig92

MrPig92 New Member

Okay this is my first post, I looked over some of the other threads and was hoping for a little bit of help.
    I'm thinking of putting a big bore on my DNA 125, and converting it to a 180.
    I think I know the basic stuff I need to do this, but I wanted to double check on everything I need to buy, eg. Cylinder, piston, gasket, upgraded jets in carb blah blah blah.
    If someone would be kind enough to list exactly everything I need to buy to turn it into a 180cc I would be very grateful.
    Also, is there any risks on doing this procedure, what I mean by that is can it mess up my bike/engine, will I have to keep buying new pistons, and is there anything else I should know.

If you have any good links or places on the best places to purchase these things then please do let me, like I'm pretty new to tuning my bike so don't know what the best make of kits and stuff are.
    I would really appreciate any help I can get from you guys. Thanks!

2. Dandruff37

Dandruff37 Active Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR50 R
    If you buy a big bore kit, it comes with the cylinder and the piston and everything else. You can buy a bore kit and not buy anything else and it will be fine. But you may need to upjet it so if you buy a pack of different sizes and then work through trial and error to find the correct size. and yes with a big bore kit your engine is going to need a rebuild more often than it would normally. but thats the sacrifice you have to take for more power.

Go to www.pedparts.co.uk

Should be able to find everything you need there

3. MrPig92

MrPig92 New Member

That website doesn't do anything for a 125 upwards :( any other sites you recommend?
    And okay that's great, I've seen a 180 bore kit for £271, so all I need to find is the jets now.
    With the bore kit on, would the bike benefit from a better drive belt and derestricted CDI? Stuff like that?
    Also exhaust, I can only find a scorpion and Leo Vince and there like £200+ I've seen different exhausts that look cheaper but can't find them on the net anywhere! any ideas?
    Thanks for your reply anyway mate.

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Try and find a complete top end off a 180 or 200cc motor,(barrel, head,cam) dna/vxr/gt and get the carb s well.

5. MrPig92

MrPig92 New Member

So I don't need the whole engine? Just the top end? If I done that though wouldn't I still be running a 125 gearing set up?
    The plan now is to try and find a already 180cc DNA or engine, and that way everything will be already 180cc suitable, like the gearing and cam and stuff like that

6. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    If you can find a complete engine, all well and good, straight swop.