Generic Race 50 tuning

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by Myquad, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Myquad

Myquad New Member

Hi

Im new to this tuning lark on small motors so im looking to you knowledgeable foc to point me in the right direction.

As my son has now turned 16 he wants a 50 for the road and i was able to pick up the above moped with low miles (8000km) cheap and as both my son and I ride motocross the speed of a moped is something we are not use to hence we need to get some more out of it.

I have just changed the exhuast, reeds block and air filter and CDI but still playing around with the jetting to get it right however the initial feeling is that it is still very slow.

I havent dobe a compression test yet but when kicking it oveg it doesnt feel too bad.

So, my question is, what do we do next?

Do i change the carb to a 17.5mm or 21.0mm? Personally i think the 21mm will be to big for it however i want to stick to the electric choke and auto oiler to save on the hassle for when he's to and from work.

If i go with the 17.5mm do you have any recommendations on jetting size?

Roller, i assume these only help with acceleration?
    Should i go with 4gms as my son is not very big?

The rear spring for the veriator i note that you can get different rev types, are these worth it?

Finally i was thinking about opening up the exhaust outlet on the barrel before going into the exhaust, is this a common mod?

Lots of questions but your help would really be appreciated

Thanks