Gear up kit necessary?

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by Joe.write, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Joe.write

Joe.write New Member

i have bought a 70cc motoforce kit (comes with stage 6 cylinder) for my piaggio zip, I will also be buying a yasuni C16 exhaust and some V force 3 reeds, will a gear up kit be needed for my ped to run well? As they look hard to install and I don’t really want to spend much more money. (Also does anyone know what rollers, size jets and clutch springs I would need for this setup?) thanks

2. ET2SLOW

ET2SLOW New Member

It’s not nessesary, it just depends on what riding you do - buzzing around town and the odd 40mph roads you won’t need one. If you use 50+mph roads and you use a constant throttle on longer journeys then it’s a good idea, especially if your relying on a standard crank.

3. Joe.write

Joe.write New Member

I do constantly throttle whenever I use the ped, however this may stop when I get my new pipe, 70cc kit and v force 3 reeds as I will be able to reach faster speeds, I really don’t want one haha, they seem like a real pain in the arse to install

4. ET2SLOW

ET2SLOW New Member

When I mentioned the throttle, I mean - will you be regular be doing like 5+ mile rides @ 50mph+? If so it’s best to keep the revs sensible.

if your on and off the throttle and buzzing up and down the speedo like you would be round town then you don’t need a gear up. Hope this makes sense! Haa

5. Joe.write

Joe.write New Member

On my regular route that I do 3-5 days of the week, there is about 4-5 miles of very straight road (60mph) that I just pretty much hold the throttle all the way and go speeds of 40-50mph

6. ET2SLOW

ET2SLOW New Member

Yeah with that commute it’s not essential, see how you get on once it’s all set up. A good variator like a multivar May be all you need.

With your set up, getting to 55+mph should be achievable. If on your commute you start taking advantage of the higher top speed then deffo get the gear up. It will be kinder on the engine and help keep revs sensible.

7. Joe.write

Joe.write New Member

Ok thank you man, quite relieved that I don’t need one haha

8. ET2SLOW

ET2SLOW New Member

Yeah it’s not needed to make the engine upgrades work, it’s just a good idea if your intending to do 50+ for miles at a time.

9. Rickard Pingol

Rickard Pingol Active Member

Regarding. Rollers,jets etc. The best is to buy sets/kits,with an assortment within a range. Many factors at play, whatworks for one guy possible isnt optimal for you. Its easier to fine tune while you're at it, With different roller weights. And jets instead of the need to have to order new ones, its waist time and effort. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can give you tips on which range you should buy