Gap in acceleration - 70cc w/gear up - Rollers?

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by 328isport, May 25, 2017.

1. 328isport

328isport Member

Hi Guys,

My Gilera Runner 50 has a stage 6 70cc streetrace/Leo Vince ZX, a Malossi gear up kit, and I believe 5.5g rollers fitted going by an invoice I have here (all done by the previous owner). For reference as I think it does make a difference, I'm 6ft 3 tall/approx. 85kg

I'm trying to resolve a drop in acceleration between around 35-45, the bike goes well upto 35, then the revs drop off and whilst the bike still accelerates it does so slowly and even a fairly slight incline can prevent picking up any further speed, however on the flat and if I tuck in, once the bike reaches around 45 it'll get into the power band again and accelerate well to over 60mph.

My initial thought is through a combination of my weight, roller weight and gear up kit, the revs are simply not being kept high enough to keep it on the boil after 35ish, I'm therefore thinking firstly to try 4-4.5g rollers, do this sound the best place to start or am I missing something else?

2. 328isport

328isport Member

I should add for further reference the speeds mentioned above are from my gps garmin device.. if I went by the bikes speedo I'd be telling you the drop off happens between around 45mph to high 50's and after this it'll go on to nearly 80mph! Lol you've got to love these speedos, if I was a young naive lad I'd think I had the fastest scooter around!

3. sean178

sean178 Active Member

Next you'll be letting the fact that Santa isn't real out of the bag and ruining everyone's day !!

Renllek likes this.
  4. 328isport

328isport Member

lol indeed :p

Any thoughts on whether I'm on the right track in switching to lighter rollers? How much of a difference does a gram generally make when it comes to rollers? Should going down to 4.5 make a noticeable difference or should I go even lighter?

5. 328isport

328isport Member

OK guys so can now wrap this up, installed Malossi 4.3gr rollers and the difference they have made is unbelievable, it'll now pull to a GPS 50mph with little let up in acceleration and get to 60 pretty easily from there as well. The downside is that the higher revs from the lighter rollers mean it doesn't cruise as nicely as it did at say 30mph, it's also made it a little more anti-social in town, so I think there's a happy medium to find yet. Still I'm loving finally seeing what a 70cc scooter is capable of.

I believe the roller weight isn't the main factor rather the state of the old rollers.. I found a more recent invoice in the file showing a purchase of RMS 4.8gr rollers, which I believe is what I removed, they certainly weren't Malossi.. now I don't want to be too hard on these as I didn't fit them so who knows, they could of been put in the wrong way round etc etc, but after 600 odd miles use a couple were starting to oval and showing noticeable wear on the edges. They also just didn't look a patch on the Malossi replacements in terms of general quality.

So I know most of you on here will know this already, but if your bike seems to have lost a bit of go/is missing performance with symptoms along the lines of mine and your rollers haven't been changed in a while, sticking in good quality new ones is not a bad place to start!

Think I'm going to get into a routine of switching out the rollers, air filter & plug for new every 1000 miles or so, given the small cost involved it seems worth it to keep everything running at its optimum.