Found a stolen scooter?

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by MrSkeedle, Aug 9, 2018.

1. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

Was riding back from work today and saw a guy on a lexmoto FMX grey (pretty sure anyway) riding very strangely. Taking turns really silly and going all over the road. I turned the same way as him and he immediately clocked me, looking behind him every few seconds, taking off to about 45 on a 30mph. I decided to just follow him, where he made weird errors, pulling out at a T junction almost going up the pavement he was that close. Anyway, just riding the thing likes hes never ridden it before. So i followed him a little more, got his reg plate on my gopro, and returned home. I've rang 101 and informed them of the suspicious activities. i told them i have it on camera if they need it, but ive got a question for you guys. I was obviously doing over the speed limit to follow this guy etc, i know it sounds stupid, but would the police say anything about this if i gave them the video? my speed is clearly visible in the video you see.

It probably sounds dumb but i dont want to get myself in trouble whilst trying to be a good guy and possibly be returning someones stolen scooter!

Thanks in advance!

2. BigHeavy

BigHeavy Member

Rides:
    Kymco AgilityCity125
    Heres the thing... you don't have the bike in your possession. you don't know where its located. it's not going to get recovered just because you followed it and got it on camera. leave it be. Chances are it's not even stolen and its just some kid who hasn't taken a CBT before and has never ridden just trying to get it home after buying it and you following him made him nervous. With the amount of bike jackings especially for scooters and big CC bikes lately, it makes most people nervous...

3. MrSkeedle

MrSkeedle Member

fair enough. maybe he has just got the bike or something. but he shouldn't be riding it then. I couldn't give 2 shits if I'm making him nervous. Do it properly like everyone else who follows the law and get a van! no idea how you can defend the guy, even if it isn't robbed...

I'm the one worried he's a bike jacker! that's why I followed him!

4. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Following to get the reg' where he's going and identifying the rider is fine, taking into account the valid comment about you coming across as suspicious yourself, however you will not be protected in law for breaking the law.
    Police cannot break the law however in an emergency they can use blues and two's (or just blues) to get somewhere in order to save life and protect property. If they then break the law the training and blue lights allow them to breach some road laws ie speeding and red lights.
    If they crash or cause a problem then they can also be held accountable.
    If you speed or flout laws to get go pro footage then it is not an excuse. A nice officer may let you off with some advice, a traffic officer or officer not in a forgiving mood will book you.
    Could be a stolen scooter and could be someone's mate messing about and any footage may assist them and if its later reported stolen then they may be grateful for it.
    I reckon you should leave it as a call to 101 saying what you saw and the reg' and do no more.

5. BigHeavy

BigHeavy Member

Rides:
    Kymco AgilityCity125
    In no way shape or form was I defending him... my point was that doing stupid shit yourself like speeding just to get GoPro footage for the police who are only going to see that your doing more than the speed limit to follow the guy they won't be able to catch and will in turn just do you for it, isn't worth it. Following bike thieves and bike jackers isn't a smart idea either... most carry some sort of weapon or a bottle of acid... in the end is it worth getting fine/points or if it goes pear shape, you getting hurt? no. "not my pig, not my farm" sometimes its just best to mind your own business and go about your day.

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Stick the reg on isitnicked.co.uk and find out