Ford Ranger Crew Cab Airbag Light

Discussion in 'Car chat' started by Stevep, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Anybody able to tell me what this little problem code is:

Ford Ranger Double Cab, 2.5TD, Manual, 4x4

The airbag light is flashing twice slowly, then pauses for a long long time, then repeats.
    Slow Flash, Slow Flash, long pause, Slow Flash, Slow Flash.
    Thats it, Just repeats all the time.
    Checked all the forums, can find stuff about seat belt pre-tensioners and airbag modules but the codes given are not what I have going on.
    Checked under the seats and I have no plugs going to the seat belt anchors. Unplugged the drivers and passenger side airbags seperately and that gives a completely different set of flashing codes, so I can rule those out as the cause.
    Plugged my diagnostic in and it came up with nothing.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    what year is it?
    I know with fords itll have nothing to do with the seatbelts. usually if the diagnostic comes up with nothing its fine just a case of paying somebody with the ford computer/disc £25 to come out and switch it off (dealer will charge £100+). its probably just the ECU being funny but wont cause any issues with the actual deployment of the airbags should a accident happen. but just to be sure its worth checking the connections for the sensors on the slam panel? I think that's where they are and checking theyre ok.
    which diagnostic plug in did you use for it? some might show codes up, some might not.

3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

its could be like my camaro, where its an OBD2 plug but OBD1 software? just take the bulb out, problem solved....

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Only two crash sensors on this, both on the front chassis rails below the rad mountings. It's got the same obd socket as the Mazda B2500. Tried both OBD1 & 2 with no joy:(
    It's gonna have to go to the garage in the near future I suppose. £35 they charge. MOT in January so it needs to be sorted by then, plus I've REALLY got to do the timing belt and tensioners on this.
    Been saying it for 3 years now............o_O

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

take the bulb out, its FREE.... FREEEEEEEEE!!!!! problem solved!

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Yes, but I'll know it's still there!!!!!!
    Plus I haven't checked to see if it's a bulb or an LED

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

seems i might have a faulty restraints control module, located under the centre console behind the gear sticks.
    Hmmmmm....................

8. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    expensive job done in a garage IF that is the problem. a do it yourself job however ;)

9. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Was the correct diagnosis. Took a flyer and replaced the restraints control module, no more flashing airbag light. £40 off Fleabay, found a place in coventry that had one, went over, plugged it in, hey presto, cured.
    Happy bunny again

scootzmadness likes this.
  10. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    Glad that's sorted then?

11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Yup, booked in for mot on monday morning. Doesn't run out til next friday but gives me time if anything does need doing.

scootzmadness likes this.