Fixed carburettor now fuel pump not pumping!???

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by vince86, Mar 21, 2017.

1. vince86

vince86 New Member

Hi everyone,

So the main bike that I ride is a Piaggio X8 125cc 2007 model.

About two weeks ago it breaks down, so I run a spark and then a compression test. Then I buy a replacement fuel filter as the one in there looked a bit dark coloured but when the new one arrived I realised I could blow about the same pressure of air (using my mouth) through either of them. Anyway so I put on the new one but bike still wouldn't start. While I did the fuel filter replacement, I started the ignition to verify fuel was being pumped out the fuel line to the fuel filter, which it was.

So then today I moved onto the carb, bought carb cleaner spray and I opened it up, jets were fine but the pipe that goes through to the reservoir was blocked- I couldn't blow through it whether the floats were up or down. So I sprayed it out with the carb cleaner and could then blow air through it. I was happy, I thought I'd fixed the bike...

Before re-installing the carb, I ran a final diagnostic: I turned the ignition on to verify the fuel was being pumped through the line, through the new filter and up out the end of the (open) line where it would normally connect to the carb. Nothing. So I detached the new fuel filter and tried again but nothing came out the line.

I don't understand how if the bike was just sitting there by itself the fuel pump could have become broken or ineffective??? I have checked the manual of the bike and I am pretty sure it is an electric fuel pump, so I just don't understand?

All replies welcome. Many thanks

2. vince86

vince86 New Member

Could the fuel pump not be sending fuel because the automatic choke is not connected to the carburetor?

3. Junk-man

Junk-man Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Mojito 125
    If its anything like my bike, you have to reinstall the carb for the vacuum pump to work - taking out the carb opens an air passage through the intake manifold (I.e. engine side) so there's no seal and no vacuum. In the meantime you could try placing your palm over the opening of the manifold to create a seal - you should feel the engine sucking your hand when you turn it over!