Fitting tyres !?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Sam phantom, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

just got my self some very nice conti twist tyres from the Netherlands for a very nice price for the Malaguti as I haven't got the confidence in the maxxi tyers I think they may be a bit dry rotted I'm sure but any way I'm more than qualified to fit them my self so I was just wondering if any of you guys can recommend a safe home brew tyre soap to ease the fitting process and any tips maybe ?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  2. Sam phantom

Re Doing the fork seals and oil while I'm there if any one has any handy tips

3. Sam phantom

Oh and rear brake shoe lol as the back wheel is off

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Cut the old tyre off, don't use levers unless you have the proper tyre levers and rim protectors.
    Or get the local tyre place to take them off for you (much easier)
    Re-furb the wheels before you fit the new ones, nice new painted wheels are a bonus.
    Use washing up liquid to fit the new tyres.
    Use new valves, leave the valve core out initially. It allows more air in quicker to settle the bead on the rim.
    Check for leaks around the rim before refitting the wheel to the bike.

Fork seals
    Does your bike have oil filled forks?
    Grab a copy of the fork schematic for a proper breakdown of any spring clips.
    There is probably a big bolt in the bottom of the leg that will stop the inner coming out.
    Normally 6mm allen key headed bolt.
    I find a long socket based allen key and an air ratchet fetch them out lovely.

5. Sam phantom

Thanks for the tips I do have levers and protectors for the tyres and rims maybe I should just take them to my local tyre fitters mmm... yes they are oil filled that's really why I'm re-doing them as they are way to soft so I think they are low on oil

6. Sam phantom

IMG_0188.JPG Arrived today, Netherlands to my door in 5days not bad at all... really pleased with these!