FireFox 50cc

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Ellismit101, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Ellismit101

Ellismit101 New Member

Hi guys im buying a firefox 50cc moped and it says top speed is 31mph is there anyway of making it faster and what things will i need

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    AJS firefox 50cc

its not going to be easy, most shops i just looked at dont have AJS as a maker.

rule of thumb for derestiction, this makes you scooter a little quicker to around 40-50mph but this is dependant on rider weight and what you add to the machine to gain more power.

Variator : usually this is restricted to stop it forcing the belt higher up, it usually consists of a weding like ring on the main sliding boss, removing this allows the belt to travel higher. at the same time some lighter roller weights will increase acceleration .

exhausts : usually the stock exhaust hinders the escape of gas and is a second restrictor, this can be a secondary short pipe that robs the exhaust of backpressure , scooters like the speedfight has a secondary short pipe that one could cut off and weld/crimp cloased to unleash around an extra .5hp - 1hp

CDI unit : these are 9-10 times restricted to stop the engine reaching higher rpm values, the higher the rpm the more power your producing , you maybe able to find a non restricted cdi for your scooter but it means a lotta internet searching , usually your stock scooter will be around 7000rpm , with an unlimited cdi that rpm value shoots up to around the 9000 mark and more.

the last area is the carb it must be upjetted to allow more fuel into the engine to give that extra power your mods allow.

and last but not least ....... Welcome to the scooter shack

Slippy likes this.
  3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Is it a malaguti? If so they use the piaggio engine if i recall?

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yes he will.
    Twat.
    Presenting your opinion as a fact like usual.
    Urghhh... Why do you even come on this forum anymore?
    Back to the point,
    50cc bikes are restricted to 45kmh. This is to meet legal standards of many countries, but there are a few countries that dont have the 45kmh law, so bikes go much faster...

Slippy and torpedo01 like this.
  5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Ive ridden a pug vclic with no restricter, tops out at around 60kmh.
    Do you see, because 60 is a bigger number than 45...

6. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    to get the very best from a fourstroke motor :

racing cam , coupled with valve seating clean up and porting , derestricted, derestriced cdi to allow for max rpm for the fourstroke.

fourstrokes are differnet to a twostroke the power is smoother and controlled unlike the rawr powerband on a twostroke , fourstrokes dont need a expansion chamber exhast unlike a two stoke because it looses some of the fresh charge when both the exhuast port and intake port are uncovered. twostokes have a higher hydrocarbon output because of this unburnt fuel ....... a fourstroke is a cleaner burn it ignites all fuel sent into the cylinder and there is no loss from the exhaust port opening when the intake is opened.

twostokes must have a hi rpm to get the most torque ..... a fourstroke does not its got torque all the way through. yes fourstrokes are slightly slower reaching top end but the are more effeicent on fuel burn and these now loss.

twostrokes have upto 30% - 50% less working parts in them so they are lighter but they have a fuel loss and are heavy on emissions.

UK/EU law states a moped cannot exceed 45kmh - us law they have no 45kmh limit same as some asian countrys hence the bikes are not derestricted to stay within the law. before the 80's twostokes were not derestricted because we were not a part of the eu cafuffle, the old FS1E FS1M all you had to do was stick on a micron exhaust and you little moped when like horsepoop from a shovel. EU stepped in and said oh no theres laws now your moped cannot exceed 30mph . and thats why you see a lot of tuning going on to twostrokes. Oh and nearly all bikes were twostokes before eu decided the emissions need cutting down even more.

so yes there are ways to derestrict a fourstroke and make it do 60kmh a simple swap to a more longer opening intake and exhaust is one via a uprated cam shaft . opening the intake and exhaust ports allows better and more smoother flows again making a little more power. remember power is more controlled in a fourstroke to

7. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

It would help if we knew the year and if it's a Malaguti or AJS.
    Both are/were 2 strokes but not sure about the latest AJS models. They are made in China anyway so should not be too much of a problem to derestrict although tuning might be a different proposition.
    Derestricting alone will increase the speed.

8. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Tuning and derestriction are 2 different things. Yes 4 strokes aren't as easy as a 2 stroke to "tune" but simply by removing any artificial restrictions eg spacer in variator and possibly exhaust washer and or carb blanking plate top speed will increase.

In some models the carb slider was restricted and didn't move the full distance.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  9. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Well the modern AJS Firefox is a 2 stroke

http://www.ajsmotorcycles.co.uk/firefox-50

If you are on L plates or riding it on a car licence you should know that by definition a moped is restricted to app 30 mph by law so by derestricting it it is no longer a moped although if you are over 16 it can be ridden however your insurance company might take a dim view (if you declare it lol)

10. torpedo01

torpedo01 Active Member

Rides:
    Pedal Bike M8
    Every bike has their issues
    if youve never owned a chinese bike STFU you utter muppet
    Just by what your saying youve proven yourself to be a complete and utter idiot over and over
    Trying to argue with a motorcycle mechanic about speed of a 50cc 4 stroke

my 50cc 4 stroke pulse would do 45mph after derestriction it did 47 with a pipe

MrXT and scubabiker like this.
  11. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Parts are dirt cheap for 4 strokes, again, opinion presented as fact.
    Stop buying crack and buy a dictionary you uncultured uneducated swine.
    I will show you the superiour quality of my chinese cubs over the shitty piaggio metal if you want more proof how wrong you are?

MrXT and torpedo01 like this.
  12. torpedo01

torpedo01 Active Member

Rides:
    Pedal Bike M8
    £9 for a derestricted CDI.
    £35 for a sports exhaust.
    £40 for a 70cc sports kit.
    £15 for a cam..
    Oh yeah so expensive

13. torpedo01

torpedo01 Active Member

Rides:
    Pedal Bike M8
    1. atleast i can form sentences that actually make fucking sense, I didnt have much of an education but atleast I put what education I did have to use.
    2. It was next to a Citroen Picasso down the A5 which by the way has a digital speedo and is fairly accurate.
    3. yes, your really going to fuck me up.... id love to see that. Infact lets make it a charity MMA match, money going to the midlands air ambulance so they can air lift you to hospital when Im done. (you probably dont want to fight somebody who does MMA)
    4. I ride a sym... yes... atleast people have seen what I ride..

NASA just called... they said the telescope theyve been developing to see your tiny dick is ready.

fucking mong.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    MrXT and scubabiker like this.
  14. torpedo01

torpedo01 Active Member

Rides:
    Pedal Bike M8
    By the way, that fight offer. I was being serious. You want to fight? let's do it. In a ring, For charity.
    Guarantee you won't.

15. torpedo01

torpedo01 Active Member

Rides:
    Pedal Bike M8
    Almost every brand is made in China now. Every scooter has had electric issues? Erm, The forza 300 with its initial ECU issues? KTMs? Ducatis? Piaggios? Do you really want me to carry on? Im actually purchasing the 2017 Sinnis Terrain as soon as it comes out so yes, Ill do just that.

Again have you ever owned a chinese bike? No.
    Could you afford a brand new chinese bike? Probably not.
    Do you have the skills or knowledge to maintain a bike? hahahah fuck no.

Do yourself a favour and shut up.

16. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Please let that fight happen, i will give £100 to charity to see shane have his face smashed in!

torpedo01 likes this.
  17. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    well honda - suzuki - kawasaki and the likes have there motors built and made in china.

whats the difference, well a chinese cheap made bike uses the same tooling the honda kwaka and suzi motors were made with but that tool is only allowed to do so many runs of the named brand motor before its deemed as not producing a good enough quality. it still can be used so its put to use making non branded motors for the chinese scooter/bike market to keep costs down.

Sym are taiwanese , not chinese, tiawan has a more strict say on quality assurance than china , so are built to a higher standard than mainland china scooters, so scooters like sym - kymco - rocketa and a few others are good scooters.

twostrokes are being phased out by eu law on emissions, like i said above a fourstroke bruns cleaner than a twostroke and has less hydrocarbon emissions so its a better choice motor to use to keep withing the emissions law. a twostroke would need a cat fitted and then be direct injected to try to keep hydrocarbons to a respectful and legal limit. just that alone would throw a lot of money ontop or a retail price .

I OWN THE SYM, and if you look its had 6 previous owners all 16yrs of age , its 10+ years old and been mistreated at every corner, the rear box had never seen a drop of new oil in 10yrs running , yet the gearbox is lovely and tight without no play in the main drive shaft. it still has the original crankk fitted from factory and the original sym crank bearings, thats 40,000+ km those breaing have done and that crank and its just as tight as it was when fitted in factory.

the sym had a full top end rebuild as it would have if i owned it for 10+ years cylinders dont last a lifetime and piston rings fail before the cylinder as they are constantly in contact with a super hardened surface and take a lotta brunt on every cycle of the motor and the extreme presures they go through in the firing of the fuel mix, piston rings expand outwards when the fuel is ignited to create a tighter seal , its why when you hard break in all your doing is running the motor hard to force the piston rings to bed in and to clamp tightly to the cylinder wall. infact your piston aint even round its a egg shape but only seen through high tech measuring devices, this is because a piston is not the same thickness and parts of a piston heat up quicker than others.

Infact my sym gets more attention now than it did in its 10yrs living with young riders by a middle aged man that knows what he is talking about and doing, that has had plenty of twostrokes in his time as well as fourstrokes , its just this old man likes twostrokes. but know how to ride them hard and take care of them when needed and what to do when things get a bit iffy. like most of us tuners we learnt from our own mistakes blowing up motors then repairing them in our backyard shed with minimal tools

SYM stands for SanYang Motors , and for the record they also build cars and small mini trucks under the Hyundai brand name , they also were in partnership with kymco untill 2006 when kymco went there own way , and before 2002 sanyang built all the honda bike engines , in 2002 honda broke free and started making there own under the Honda Taiwan brand name. infact sym and honda are in direct comp with each other now.

Chinese bikes/ scooters are now getting a lot better the very first models were pony and yeah i admit that but these days they are getting better take lexmoto a world seller in the uk and yes they have some niggles but overal they are one of the best low priced scooters/bikes on the market, they dont offer that high spec branding name but they offer transport as a decent price , some brands are total crap but again they are learning the hard way and getting things done right now , UK buyers are heading over to china to direct the quality assurances we brits want.

OH and AJS its not chinese either, infact AJS are a british bike company :) and the firefox is a twostroke small cc scooter, yes they sell chinese made scooters and bike but again they have a say on quality assurance

torpedo01 likes this.
  18. Ellismit101

Ellismit101 New Member

Cheers guys for the info just passed my cbt today, instructor advised me to get a 125 but I've already orderd a 50cc to get me from a to be for a few months and to get used to roads and ect... then look intp getting a 125 bike also had a few little things i need tweeking on roads like positing and junctions.

19. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Practice makes perfect, welcome to the biking world! :)

20. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Grats on passing your CBT fella, and dont worry to much about a 125 at the moment, use the 50cc to get a grip of the roads how scooters handle and your confidence built up in riding on those open roads.

yes Do not ride in the gutter, place yourself away from the gutter more like middle the lane , juctions and the likes you soon learn its just a little time riding round and getting used to being able to hog the road unlike on a pushbike your always kerb riding.

REMEMBER : GEAR UP wear the protective gear all the time come spring summer winter, always dress for a slide its better than a body full of roadrash and pulling bits of tarmac out of your skin and feeling like you been 20 rounds with an elephant

torpedo01 likes this.