Exhaust + Barrel Matching Guide

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by Sw1fT, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Sw1fT

Sw1fT Active Member

Rides:
    200SX S13
    The recent increase in threads being made saying "ive got this barrel, what exhaust shall i get" is starting to wear a little thin with a lot of people, so, i decided to write this guide, once again it is a BASIC outline of what barrels work good with what exhausts and vice versa. Any purchases made based on the conetents of this guide are the sole responsible of the person making the purchase.

Standard 50cc Barrel:

Althought anyone with any tuning knowledge will know the first thing you bolt onto a tuned scooter is a barrel kit, 70cc or 80cc if you're pockets are deep enough, but some people still choose to get the exhaust first. Its the same with cars, no stock clio/saxo motor is chucking out enough to warrant a 4" exhaust backbox, but it sounds nicer and is an easy to see modification. The same goes with scooters, it alters the noise, adds a bit of acceleration and top end, and can look the business. Although not many exhaust are suited for 50cc barrels alone, so this is a list of exhausts that work with both the standard barrel, and an iron kit, malossi sport etc:

Leo Vince TT
    Gianelli Reverse
    Laser X Pro
    Doppler s3r
    Hebo Performer

70cc Barrels:

As there are lots of 70cc barrels im only going to pic the most commonly chosen, starting from the bottom range, to the top range. I will also name similar barrels, so as not to repeat myself.

Polini Sport - other options include Malossi Sport, DR70, Top Performances 70cc Trophy

These kits are your basic "sport" kits, theyre good for single figure BHP setups, and dont cost a bomb.

The exhausts that are best suited to these kits are very similar to the exhausts above, with only a few small changes:

Leo Vince ZX
    Leo Vince TT
    Gianelli Reverse
    Laser X Pro
    Doppler s3r
    Hebo Performer
    Yasuni Z

Malossi MHR Replica - other options include Hebo Hi-Race, Hebo Manston Replica. Polini Corsa, Polini Alu 70, Italkit Alu 70, Italkit Alu ECO 70, Top Performances 70cc Racing.

These kits are a bit more then just pocket change but now with the right setup you're looking at a maximum of possibly 14bhp, which isnt bad at all.

The exhausts for these kits are where it starts to change, although the laser can still work ok so ive included it. The list is very short because these are mid-race kits, and alot of mid-race exhausts aren't as good, as ive been picky.

Laser X Pro
    Yasuni City16
    Yasuni Carrera16
    Polini For Rac3
    Polini Super Race

Malossi MHR - other options include Malossi MHR Team2, Hebo Manston Racing, Polini Evolution, Polini Evolution2, Italkit Bi-Metal, Top Performances 70 Due Plus.

These are the big boy kits, tunable to over 20bhp in some cases, these are relationship killing kits.

There isnt many companies who make exhausts for this sort of thing, so here is a small lists of suitable exhausts:

Yasuni Carerra20
    Yasuni Carerra21
    Yasuni Carerra30
    Malossi MHR Team
    Polini Evolution

Exhausts To Avoid:

Here is a list of exhausts that arent worth the packaging, you WILL regret buying them, and you WILL end up buying a different one.

Technigas - any technigas exhaust is rubbish, the build quality is aweful, the power gains are puny, and the price tag is double what it should be.

IXIS - these exhausts take crap into a whole new level, they are noise makers and there for looks.

Top Performances - although i rate their kits i cant stand their exhausts, so they get 0/10 from me

Viper - the power increase is enough to make any typical kid happy, but if your looking at something more then just a slightly quicker 0-10 speed and tinny sound, dont buy.

Endy - These exhausts really draw people in, a chrome "power" pipe for 80 quid! but in my opinion PM tuning over ordered and need to shift them, they are aweful pipes.

2. Jamie

Jamie Active Member

Rides:
    xt660x, 200sx s14a
    thanks alot mate this is very helpfull, im planning on getting a 70 kit and new exhaust on ma next bike you see. cheers :beer: :up:

3. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

nice little guide swift as usual....well done M8 ;)

4. Martin

Martin New Member

good job mate.

5. Major Rel14b1lty

Major Rel14b1lty New Member

Thats nice, what about the stage 6 exhausts ive always been lost with what kits they work wll with ect

6. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

very confusing the stage 6 pipes :confused:arc:

theres a sports pipe with no chrome or E-mark available (both of these would be handy on a sports pipe)

And a mid-race pipe with an E-mark and chrome :wtf:

7. stephenfozzy

stephenfozzy Member

In addition just to let people know u can get 2fast 80cc kits for lc piaggio as well as the minerelli engine

8. ProRace2*Dragster

ProRace2*Dragster Member

also trt make a 2fast pipe to go with with there 2fast 80 kit and a TCR make a 80cc exhaust would go nice on the 2fats also ROOST pipes , JS TUNING 80cc pipes and DPR 80 exhuast also the MK pro race is spose to work quite well
    .nick

9. SMF_12

SMF_12 New Member

might want to add the viper exhaust to the list of brilliant exhaust :w00t:

also the buld quality of viper scooter cans are as bad as pm's. end cans just fall off and they snap so easy.

10. Sw1fT

Sw1fT Active Member

Rides:
    200SX S13
    lol too true

and im gonna remove the 2fast4race kit, firstly as no1 here has shown any interest in buying it, and also, if your buying a kit like that, you pretty much know your shit.

11. gogosama

gogosama New Member

sorry to be a nuisance but what about the stage 6 70cc kit mentioned in the tuning on a budget guide ? where does that fit in

12. Sw1fT

Sw1fT Active Member

Rides:
    200SX S13
    its a single ring kit but produces same power as the mhr rep, so any of the exhausts in that section.

im not a fan of stage6 kits tbh, something about them.

13. fat-joe-sf2

fat-joe-sf2 New Member

nice guide

im glad you people know your shit ive just ordered an exaust laser xpro chrome
    and im seriously considering a polini iron sport kit so this has just put y mind at ease seeing that they go well together cheers mate

keep up the good work

14. Sw1fT

Sw1fT Active Member

Rides:
    200SX S13
    definately get that combination buddy, its a sweeeeet one.

15. The General

The General New Member

Ive ordered a malossi sport kit and laser xpro i hope thats a good one

16. Sw1fT

Sw1fT Active Member

Rides:
    200SX S13
    yeh you know it is :p

both of you remember to sort jetting and rollerweight, then if need be play around with a few clutch springs.

17. The General

The General New Member

Sw1ft I ordered a 68 jet for my typhoon does that sound about right for full de-restriction, laserxpro and the cylinder kit or is it that underjetting?

might have to get a few more from my local bike shop.

18. Jamie

Jamie Active Member

Rides:
    xt660x, 200sx s14a
    you should really order like 10 jets around the estimated ideal jetting and experiment, otherwise its hassle buying them one at a time

19. fat-joe-sf2

fat-joe-sf2 New Member

wicked

cheers swift u da man lol
    oh forgot to mention fitted a polinin speed control kit on tuesday but my ped aint goin no better aceel aint much different if atall and my top speeds the same upart from uphill just a bit better i tried the lighter rollers that it came with wich were 7.9's i think but it werent revvin verry high it seemed so i changed em back to the ones my tt came with 5.7's any advice on that top speeds still the same on flat but it used go mad down slight hills but now its shit

20. Sw1fT

Sw1fT Active Member

Rides:
    200SX S13
    did it come with a belt? if not you might need a slightly longer one.

and wait till you've fitted all the parts then play with rollerweights, saves you buying loads