ET4/LX50 conversion possible?

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Anthony Lackey, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Anthony Lackey

Anthony Lackey New Member

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and you were recommended by another forum. I am starting my first Vespa project and I don't know if I made the decision in haste. I purchased two Vespa's. One 2006 LX50 with a blown engine and a wrecked 2002 ET4 with a good drive train. The gentleman had already begun the project by installing the 150cc ET4 engine and Drivetrain into the LX50 frame. He claimed everything bolted right up and he had it running, just a carb issue and a loose stator wire was all that was left. My question is about the suspension of a 50cc supporting the extra weight. Do you think it could be a problem? Any info would sincerely be appreciated.

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    The et2/4 share the same frame/ forks etc, only diffeerence is the silent block mounting for the 125/150 engine, you could bolt 125 on 50 mount but it's half arsed bodged job, kids are doing it with 2t 125's into 50 frames all the time ! The 125's vibrate so much that's why the silent block is fitted.

3. Anthony Lackey

Thanks so much for the info. Is there any simple way to modify what I have to make it not such a half-assed job in. I don't have a lot of be money but I would like to complete it the right way if that's even possible. I'm retired/disabled on a fixed income but always wanted a Vespa and hope I can salvage something that can get me around for short trips. Thanks against for your help . I do appreciate it.
    Anthony

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    If I were you I'd try to have a look at an et4 to check engine mount, they are similar to 50 but use the 125 mount, you will also need to use et4 wiring loom as well !

5. Anthony Lackey

I actually bought the ET4 as well and I believe all the wiring has been swapped over but I will make sure. The engine mounts I will check as well. Thank you very much for the advice. It's a great help to a Vespa newbie.! Have a great day.!

6. seancullen

seancullen Member

Rides:
    et4 125,px80,dna50
    et2, lx, and all smallframe modern vespa scoots share the same silent block setup, both 50 and 125, its completley different to the old 2t 125 mount and silent block system and the engines are a direct swap