Engine parts

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by SpeedyScott1, Feb 11, 2017.

1. SpeedyScott1

SpeedyScott1 Member

Can some tell me from the pic of my engine what part is the carburettor and the idle screw please

Attached Files:

2. torpedo01

torpedo01 Active Member

Rides:
    Pedal Bike M8
  3. SpeedyScott1

SpeedyScott1 Member

Cool that's what I thought but always best to get some one to clarify it lol also next the idle screw is that the throttle cable, if I take off the carb will I find the fuel off switch near to it

4. torpedo01

torpedo01 Active Member

Rides:
    Pedal Bike M8
    No the idle screw is the screw that's on the throttle plate, you tighten it or loosen it to adjust the throttle, I dont think there is a "fuel off switch" or a fuel tap fitted. Usually you just pull the pipes off, no vacuum = no fuel flow normally.

@Tamiyacowboy or @scubabiker will be able to confirm.

5. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    fuel off is not like the old style bikes buddy these days . in the old days we had a fuel tap we could shut of the fuel. modern scooters have a vacuum fuel pump thats only turned on when the bike is either running or kickstarted (turned over via starter motor ) , the engine produces a vacuum in a pipe that leads to the fuel petcock pump and that opens the valve to allow fuel to be pumped to the carb ;)

some scooters have a electric fuel pump like the new honda vision , again if theres no power/vacuum the fuel is shut of via the fuel pump ( fuel pumps on scooters tend to be mostly non mechanical.

if you remove the fuel pipe from the carb you will find a slight trickle of fuel come out thats whats left in that section of pipe only, so you can unbolt the carb - remove fuel pipe and your ok to work on it without need to shut of any fuel tap. when you install the carb again just fit the carb, pop the pipe back on and give the scooter a few kickstarts or blasts on the starter button, at first the scooter will not start as it needs to fill up the carb again but a few kickstarts or blasts on the starter motor primes the fuel system and your scooter should fire up like nothing was ever removed.

yes beside the idle screw thats the throttle cable buddy and the carb is that big thing the throttle cable links to.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Looks like there is no fuel tap per se, but its gravity fed. Just have a bolt handy to plug the fuel pipe when you take it off...

7. SpeedyScott1

SpeedyScott1 Member

Good to know and there was me thinking there's a fuel tap lol

8. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    no worrys scott

and yes +1 on scubas post, just have a bolt or plug handy in case its gravity fed so you can block the pipe right away .

SpeedyScott1 likes this.
  9. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Nothing wakes you up quite as quickly as a petrol shower....

SpeedyScott1 likes this.
  10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Can I ask why we are asking these questions please?
    If you don't know where or what a carburetter looks like, should you really be digging into the bike this deep?
    Or have I got it completely wrong and you are just starting a spannering course and wanting some tuition?

11. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    this is what happens when your with out a older brother

12. torpedo01

torpedo01 Active Member

Rides:
    Pedal Bike M8
    ??

SpeedyScott1 likes this.
  13. SpeedyScott1

SpeedyScott1 Member

So adjusted the idle screw and when I go it doesn't go anywhere just bogs down and sometimes shuts off, so adjusted back and same thing, I also cleaned the air filter, the sponge one says to soak sponge in oil and squeeze out the excess which I have done the other one on the other side was still wet this morning but still put it in could this be the issue ekkk

14. torpedo01

torpedo01 Active Member

Rides:
    Pedal Bike M8
    What is the problem you were originally trying to fix? If the more experienced members know they will be able to offer advice and help which will then hopefully help you and any other people reading learn

As far as I know though you shouldn't soak a foam filter in oil to clean it you usually wash them out under the tap let them sit on a radiator to dry and then apply air filter oil found at most car spares shops o_O

Again the more experienced members will be able to offer more helpful advice if they know what the original problem was

SpeedyScott1 likes this.
  15. SpeedyScott1

SpeedyScott1 Member

Basically the original issue was when I was at the traffic lights or stopped and would idle then cut out, I thought then the idea screw needs adjusting as was not saying idling

16. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Hmmm... So when you screwed in the idle screw half a turn, it still cut out?

SpeedyScott1 likes this.
  17. SpeedyScott1

SpeedyScott1 Member

Basically when the screw is all the way around it's revs high as it should so I adjusted it the other way so it Idles normally so lower revs, so when I test it, it goes no where and cuts out like it has no power and revs okay on the stand, the other things I did was the sponge filter and the main filter

18. SpeedyScott1

SpeedyScott1 Member

Going to have a look tomorrow as my brain is asleep lol I think the bogging down could be my fault by not letting the bike warm enough and it's very cold out there as well so think this is why as I can see the idle screw doing much to it really

19. SpeedyScott1

SpeedyScott1 Member

Pulled out the spark plug and its black with oil smell any ideas I think it was due to be replaced see pic below

Attached Files:

20. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Looks like it's running very rich.
    You will need to replace the spark plug first though, run it for a couple of days, check the plug again.
    If it's the same black as coal colour again then it is running rich and you will need to adjust the air/fuel mix.

Plug change first, then report back please.