Engine Change.....DVLA

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Del Sky, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    I was thinking about buying a Piaggio Vespa, 2000 model, as a re-build project.....it has a V5, but is registered with DVLA as 150cc....however, it has had a 50cc engine fitted at some point, so has been downgraded, anyone know is this would cause problems with DVLA ?.....obviously I would have to get the V5 changed, or it would cause problems with getting the bike insured, as I only have a licence for a 50 cc machine and don't need CBT.....any thoughts welcomed.....

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

It'll probably need to go for inspection to confirm the new cc.
    Have you checked dvla website for anything about engine changes?
    I know if it's like for like change they are not concerned, even about engine numbers, as they realise that these things do get changed.
    Have you physically checked that it is now a 50cc and not just got a digit missing?
    The other thing is that the engine mount frame I think would be different from the 125/150 and 50cc, you need to check it's been done properly

Del Sky likes this.
  3. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Thanks for that, I decided not to buy the scooter, as it would have been purchased unseen.....DVLA say that it would either need to be inspected by DVSA, or by a garage that would then produce a report stating that it had been downgraded.....too much hassle I think.....a shame really as it would have made a good project, there will be others out there.....

4. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    ?,best check engine was'nt stolen.;).