Electrics not working on scooter, Any Help?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by JonLawley, Mar 24, 2013.

1. JonLawley

JonLawley If it aint broke, upgrade it !

Hey
    Im having problems with the electrics on my scooter.
    The battery has a full charge but no electrics are working. When i turn the ignition on there is nothing, no electric start (Cant even here it trying to engage) , no indicators, horn etc completely dead. After about 5 minutes of kick starting it finally starts up, and runs. I can use the horn (but is a very dim sounding horn) indicators,lights etc all come on but are very dim i.e. Headlights will go dim when i put the breaks on.
    (Sometimes the bike shudders on full throttle, my throttle cable is snapped im pulling it at the moment so its a little messed up on carb, probably irrelevant to the question but i thought id drop it in incase it is)
    Thanks for your help!
    Jon

2. Cockers

Cockers I hate speedfights

Have you checked earth points? continuity in wires etc I would say you could rule out a blown fuse as electrics work some of the time hope you get it sorted bud

3. JonLawley

All wires and cables seem to be in place, Any idea where the earth wire could be located rather than searchin round or does it differ ?
    Its a boation QT-7 50cc
    THANKS!

4. Cockers

I'd say get a multi meter and check all round for continuety check multi plug things and i could not possibly say Just look round mate!

I'm not hugely clued up on scooters but thats what i would check if it was me, sure there will be someone with more knowledge than me pop along soon

5. JonLawley

Just to add to that mate. I used to press the electric start and it would turn over but not start i kept doing this until the battery died, and the kick start kicked the engine in. Then it wouldnt even electric start full stop. So could it be that the frantic attempts at the kick start has dislodged something ?

6. Cockers

possibly mate check all connections first then your bit closer to solving the problem

7. JonLawley

8. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    what sort of voltage is the battery putting out....should be 14.4V when fully charged

Have you tried jump leads...if everything works then its probably battery or charging system at fault

9. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Control line fuse?

10. JonLawley

I put the battery on multimeter was around 12v, Put on a trickle charge output was about 13.9v put it back on the bike and it all works fine :)
    THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS !

11. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    see, always check the obvious first :D

glad you got sorted

12. TGB-Tuning

TGB-Tuning Gladiator 125cc

Rides:
    Gladiator 125cc
    have you checked the fuse on the battery wire? if its fucked then no electric even with full battery

13. Jonathan123321

Jonathan123321 Member

Rides:
    Piaggio NRG Power DD
    No one checks the simple things first yeah as TGB - Tuning said FUSE - ON most bikes - Blown fuse = NO POWER to any of the bikes electrics. The kick start requires 0 power from the battery. So it will start, only once it is started will it take power from the battery. If the battery is not charging correctly or believe it or not TO MUCH charge is going into it then that can cause problems. Remove the battery completely from the bike. Kick start it and see if it runs fine. Although a battery can read 13 volts doesnt mean the battery is in good condition. Rule of thumb is anything above 13 volts you have a problem. Either a faulty charging unit or something else. I had problems with my battery were it was charging and staying at a stable level but was interfering with the electrics. Bought a new one and it is spot on. Bikes can run without a battery because when the flywheel turns over the pickup coil it creates its own power.

TGB-Tuning likes this.
  14. Jonathan123321

Jonathan123321 Member

Rides:
    Piaggio NRG Power DD
    So try it with no battery and see how it goes, Depending on the age of the battery i would replace it there cheap anyway so...... ALSO when you run a bike with no battery it will NOT cause any damage to the bike but as all the power is being taken to run the lights etc sometimes you will find that the oil light or the dashboard can sometimes play up. DO not listen to it, it is normal for it to do so.

15. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    A good fully charged battery SHOULD put out 14.4V if its 13V its fooked