Electrics frustration no lights work after fixing headlight

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Adam everitt, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Adam everitt

Adam everitt New Member

So my pulse scout 49 headlight stopped working. After realising that the headlight selector switch was broken I soldered the brown and blue white wire together. I connected it all together and the headlight worked.
    I taped up all the wiring and connected it all together only to find that now my dash lights headlight and indicators dont work!! I cant wrap my head around it as it was working fine before I taped it up. Now no lights work and no power gets to any of the lights! Any help would be great I'm stuck right now:)

2. typh-gilly99

typh-gilly99 Member

Rides:
    Typhoon 125 2T
    Why did you solder the 2 wires together?

3. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

4. Adam everitt

Adam everitt New Member

As a temporary fix as the switch stopped working

5. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Going by this diagram you would also need to connect the yellow but basically I would just go for the ebay switch in my link
    file:///C:/Users/gilburton/Downloads/50cc_Wiregram_AC.pdf

6. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Here is a brand new switch and if you order it in the next couple of hours it will be dispatched today. Don't mess around if you don't know what you are doing as you might cause more damage that will cost you more than a relatively cheap switch!!
    https://www.chinesemotorcyclepartsonline.co.uk/partno_HBSR016

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    MARSH likes this.
  7. Adam everitt

Adam everitt New Member

I ordered a new switch and installed it now all the lights except the headlight work. The headlight is still getting no power!! Any final ideas

8. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

How are you checking the power?
    Is there any power at the bulb contacts? Is there an earth wire that is loose or corroded on the bulb or headlamp somewhere?
    Have you blown the bulb messing around with the wires?
    Have you tried testing the bulb itself?
    If this pic is the same as yours have you checked the earth at the side and the 2 contacts are fully contacting the bulb and are clean?(rub some wet and dry paper or similar over the contacts.
    Bend the bulb contacts slightly upwards and bend the earth contact slightly out.
    Make sure all 3 wires are still connected to the contacts.
    Is there any corrosion on the tabs in the connector?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  9. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Not sure if the location is relevant but if you read this post towards the end it's mentioned that the connector that comes out of the stator is up behind the right rear panel and if that is loose it could be affecting the headlight.
    http://chinesescoots.forumwise.com/chinesescoots-thread18204.html
    The wires/connector should look like this .
    [​IMG]

10. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

11. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Does the engine need to be running for the headlight to work??
    Looking at the wiring diagram the yellow wire comes direct from the stator to the headlamp switch??
    I believe the reason the other lights may be on without the engine running is for safety so if the headlamp fails you still have a rear and dash lights.
    Just a thought as I don't have a Chinese scooter.

12. Adam everitt

Adam everitt New Member

Thankyou so much for your help:) I tested all what you said and I've managed to find the problem. I installed the light switch and power is getting to it however no power is getting to the blue white wire that powers the headlight. I checked the continuity of the switch and it appears to be great however I am getting hardly any volts to the blue white wire :/ yet I am getting volts to the brown and black wires. Its asif along irs journey from brown to blue white the power magically disappears? Never been more confused in my whole life

13. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

ok the blue/white wire runs across to the dip switch on the left.
    Start checking that side. Same procedure again check the white switch socket connection for power and corrosion.
    The high/low switch has the bl/white wire going in to it and a white wire and a blue wire coming out and going to the headlamp.
    The blue wire also powers the high beam indicator so if that is coming on you should have a power supply.
    In my opinion the fault lies somewhere on that circuit/side.
    Check the socket/plug on the headlamp/loom for continuity/power.
    If you are getting power to the headlamp but no beam then try running a wire from the earth on the bulb holder to either the battery negative or somewhere on the frame but not the forks.

14. Adam everitt

Adam everitt New Member

Okay so no power it getting to the left switch and none to the headlight the switch on the right dosnt seem to be supplying power to the other switch or to the blue white wire. There is continuity all over

15. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Going back to my question do you have to have the engine running for the headlight to work?
    The yellow wire going in to the right hand switch is your power but only when the engine is running??

16. Adam everitt

Adam everitt New Member

Sorry yes you have to have the engine running. And I've done these tests with the engine running also I'll send the wiring diagram that came with the bike

Attached Files:

17. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Then the engine to switch wiring is faulty.
    I believe the connector from the stator/generator is behind the right hand rear panel above the exhaust.
    If you can find where the wires come out of the generator and go to that connector check out the connector pins are clean and making a good contact.
    Basically you are looking for a yellow wire and follow it.

18. Adam everitt

Adam everitt New Member

I have power to the switch though it's just not getting from the switch to the high low dip switch

19. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Getting confused now lol
    If you have power to the switch then check the new switch white/plug connecter to see if you have power coming out at that point. It should be as it is a new switch. You'll need to keep it connected and try to probe where the wire enters the plug.
    Basically it's simple the yellow wire is the positive(when engine running) and after switching main beam on that power then travels via the bl/white wire across to the dipswitch.
    If you are getting power there then the switch is fine and the problem is further along.
    Any fault might now be between the r/hand switch connector and the l/hand switch connector
    Disconnect the l/hand white connector and see if there is any power (or continuity)on the bl/white wire between the 2 switches
    If there is then the next thing to check is the dipswitch itself.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  20. Adam everitt

Adam everitt New Member

So confused phaha. Okay so when I manually connect the bw to the brown wire using a peice of solder the light turns on. Isnt that what the switch is meant to me doing