Electric scooters?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Omega, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Omega

Omega Member

I am toying with an idea of going completely electric - buy an electric car (I don't have any at the moment) and get electric scooter to go round the town. However, I don't know scooter specifications:
    1. I like small things, so a folding scooter seems to be a good choice. However, I like riding fast too (I understand I will need to register with DVLA, I think it is about £250, I am fine with it), but feel it might feel unsafe on very small wheels. However, my current scooter has 14-15" wheels and I ride on motorways 70 mph, and Brompton bike has about 14" wheels, so they are comparable
    2. There are fast scooters on the market, but they are heavy, so compact size is negated by weight. Is it really worth it? Because there are places in cities where you can go above 30 mph, and being underpowered feels unsafe sometimes when you start riding around 40 mph
    3. If scooter is folding, perhaps I should carry it with me? Are there backpacks for them? Though 40 kilos plus gear is ... I am not Terminator to walk around with such a huge weight
    Anyone toying with an electric scooter idea? What are your thoughts? I like the idea of very low maintenance and lighter weight

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Noooooo please don't. You will have thousands of years in which to go electric when petrol is finally banned :p
    But seriously, a friend of mine bought a 2nd hand electric scooter and it was utter rubbish. Admittedly it was about 15 years old. Sinclair C5 anyone?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I have an electric bike, a very expensive hpvelo scorpion. It's fun, and great for short trips. Although a cheap scooter is probably cheaper in the long run, and personally I think better for the planet. These lithium batteries are so bad. One lithium mine on the planet and you can't recycle it.

4. milo2025

Totally agree. I think hydrogen fuel cells have gotta be the way forward, shame politicians don't agree.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    Jenksy likes this.
  5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Nitromethanol is the future.....

6. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    ZX Spectrums Rule.:):).

7. Omega

Omega Member

What is better or worse for the planet is, unfortunately, still philosophocal question - bateries are bad, plus you need somehow generate electricity, fuel contributes to global warming etc.
    Being practical, I am thinking about characteristics of the scooter that it be practical. What speed should it be, what wheel size, what weight? Thanks

8. milo2025

Do you mean in terms of an electric scooter? Personally I don't know much about them at all. Or are you thinking petrol too?

9. Omega

Omega Member

I wonder about electric scooter

10. milo2025

Depends what your budget is. How about a nice BMW C evolution? It even has a reverse gear I kid you not! I'm sure it's very accomplished but one slight drawback is prices start from £14,330 :p And your range is still only 60 miles max.
    Seriously friend, unless you are deadset on going electric, my advice would be get a neos/aerox or something similar :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  11. milo2025

I can't argue with that. Philosophy never was my forte anyway.

12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I'm vegan for the planet. I know on any given day what my carbon footprint is...
    I can comfortably say me driving a 2 stroke or even my V8 is better for the planet than Mr Smith down the road in his nissan leaf...

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.