DNA GTS 300 ie Super Sport project

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Bushtucker, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Bushtucker

Bushtucker Member

Hi guys..
    Right am here to tell you about my new winter project for my trusty DNA. I was thinking of going to a 278cc head and crank set up for my stock engine but came across a cheap GTS 300 engine and electrics. After seeing that someone else has squeezed one into another frame I thought why not have a go myself.
    I am lucky enough to get some bench time at a local garage so as soon as I get it down there I will put some pics up as I progress.
    The main things I am interested in getting some help with is the electrics and fitting of the injection system or can you go to carb and cdi box?
    Is there any issues with immobilisers?

Bush

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Depends on the year for the immobiliser stuff, some had them some didn't. But if the engine and electrics you might get your hands on has the immobiliser then you will need the cdi and the key and barrel. Separately they are expensive, then you have to be able to code it all, normally through the dash light, so thats something else that has to be working perfectly to start with.
    I hate injected engines in scoots, too many things can go wrong too easily. And if you dont have access to the computer, you will chase your arse all year.
    I think Malossi do an immobiliser bypass for that bike, but if it's anything like the one i had to buy for a VX not long back, don't expect much change from £200.

3. Bushtucker

Bushtucker Member

Gulps
    I am ringing on monday to get the key and barrel and imob .. the engine is a 2013 . I will know more on monday and I am still looking into a carb conversion with the 34mm Malossi carb and maybe a malossi cdi box or one of another 300 cc leader style bike.
    Thanks for your advice

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

hows the frame going to handle that much power? anyone actually put a big motor in a DNA?

5. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

who cares if it flexes a bit, it will be great

scubabiker likes this.
  6. Bushtucker

Bushtucker Member

The frame will piss it I have done all sort of mad stuff on it all ready with tuned engine and no probs ... if all else fails I can always make a hardtail chop out of it =P

scubabiker likes this.
  7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

biking is all about adrenaline anyway, it will be like riding a H2 if it flexes!

8. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Hmmm, a muscle bike that actually flexes it's muscles...............:p

9. Bushtucker

Bushtucker Member

Update on project.
    After trying to get the key and imob items I failed as the bike was involved in a police accident and everything but the engine was crushed.... (gutted)
    All is not lost as I made enquires to various scooter shops and experts alike. The leader engine i currently have in my gilera dna is a 210 cc but there is a German kit that with a crank modification that allows you to go to a 278 cc. This will run on the standard cdi unit as well as the malossi unit. This in turn means that it should run the 300 cc just fine but with a higher rev limit. All gts 300 cc rev to 7500 rpm where the malossi cdi box will let you rev to 9000 rpm ..
    here is some pics of my engine before I squeeze it in my frame.

Attached Files:

10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

cant wait to see this come along. it looks like that will be an almost straight swap. i thought the GTS had a proper gearbox like the 800cc gilera things. dont see many big scoots here in norway. is that injection or carb on that engine? cant tell from the pics

11. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    looks like injection to me :eek:

12. Bushtucker

Bushtucker Member

it is injection at the min but going to a 34 mm malossi carb to run with malossi cdi box. The gts 300 is based on the leader engine and has the same drive/gear system . It should just flop in scuba and give me more mid range power and torque than my tricked out 210cc . I am also going to put my 14" wheel in the rear so that will change the gearing of it and make a higher top speed other than the stock 80 mph. I am hoping after a variator, clutch, gears, belt I should hit 90-100 mph (hopes) I fancy the V4 head as its a cc downgrade but power increase through the range. Just need another £400 +. Got pm exhaust to go on it as well.

13. Bushtucker

Bushtucker Member

I have also found out that I will need to exchange the stator plate as well from the stock gts 300 one to my leader 180 4t stator plate . The reason being that the injection stator plate is different .
    I just need some spare time to do it now its been a very busy year so far running 2 business and painfully hard on the pocket =(

14. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

is the 300 a 3 valve head then?

15. Bushtucker

Bushtucker Member

it is a 4 valve head on them as you can get the v4 malossi head for them.

16. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    how are you actually going to squeeze it into the frame? cut and weld custom mounts etc??
    real interested in this. thought putting a 100cc speedfight engine into a Honda vision was mad. you must be off your rocker.

17. Bushtucker

Bushtucker Member

it is a leader engine and the dna uses a leader engine so straight in the frame just have to look at exhaust maybe but other than that should flop in

18. m1ck_t

m1ck_t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    alot of shit
    so you are running the 300 engine on the original 180 electrics/ignition system ?

19. Bushtucker

Bushtucker Member

Hi Mick .. I am going to give it a go. after doing a little digging with some tuning places and asking a couple of vespa mechanics as well they see no reason that my malossi cdi box will run the gts fine (not standard cdi) but increase the rev limit of it as well. The only thing I want to check is to see if the stater plate for the pick ups may be different but also looking more into it it may also be fine so I am just going to try it 1 st ... you never know it may just do the same job. I am just struggling with the time to do the work on my scoot as I run 2 business and I am flat out with them.
    I have confirmed that the gts engine will go straight into my DNA frame so mounting is not going to be any problem. also all the wiring i need from the gts engine will clip straight onto my existing loom. I have even priced up how much i will get back in spare parts of the gts like exhaust,rear sup springs, air box and injector and rear wheel and new rubber on it i should nearly get my £300 back what i paid for the lump.
    I would also like to mention that I have some tricked up parts for any leader 125=180 4t engines so i can do a package deal for any one who is looking upgrade there power unit. you will still need a carb, exhaust and cdi box which you can buy from any good tuning site. Also I have nearly new leader 125 4t air cooled engine which needs a torque driver on the clutch/drive assembly as i used it on my 210 after snapping the weld on it but there only £35. I also have all the gear to upgrade your 125 4t leader (water colled) to a 180 , piston +head,cam,carb,cdi,clutch,variator and carb. if you would like some info or prices just pm me .

20. m1ck_t

m1ck_t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    alot of shit
    Yes the lump will fit straight in , you might need to change the rocker cover though. Also gearboxes as the bigger DNA wheel will foul the rear of the engine case. I'd think of upgrading the brakes too, or at least the front , they are pretty shit even for a 125 .