dna 50 for endurance racing

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by turtletastic, Jul 21, 2021.

1. turtletastic

turtletastic New Member

Rides:
    lots
    hello everybody, hope your all good :)

i run in a twist an go moped endurance racing series, currently riding for a team but ive bought my own bike that i want to prep ready for next year, bike is a 2008 dna 50

at mo its a turd doesnt run an is in a bad way but i believe it has potential to be a winner !

ive had a quick sniff around for shiney tuning parts to give it some zing but before i go spending i want to check with experienced owners, im not new to spanners but im a newbie as far as this goes so would rather listen to the old timers advice :)

im looking for bang for buck, it is a race bike so needs some poke but i dont want to be doing a 1k rebuild every race ! there are 6 races a year so 30hrs of flat out hard work
    im thinking,
    70 kit, polini sport or polini corsa is corsa really 25% better than sport ?
    pipe
    polini cp 21mm carb ?
    reeds ?
    manifold ?
    home brew air filter set up
    clutch
    variator

can anyone advise or point me in the right direction of whats good an whats not ? what will work well together an what wont, im not shy about the money but i dont want to waste it either, racing is expensive !

many thanks :)

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. ramo

ramo GoldMember

It’s basically a toss up between the mhr replica kit and the polini corsa if you’re limited to a 47mm bore.

The corsa is a factory tuned version of the Sport kit. So you could achieve the same power with a sport kit that’s been ported some.

Mhr replica is aluminium, with all that entails.

But essentially they both do the same thing, and without the right carb and exhaust setup, both are worthless. If you can’t settle on a cylinder then you’re probably a very long way off settling on an exhaust lol:p

The DNA is a great platform for racing/tuning though (aside from limited supply of spare panels). The 14 inch wheels makes it unusual from most other autos - maybe that’s something you could exploit? Let us know how it goes either way;)

3. turtletastic

turtletastic New Member

Rides:
    lots
    thank you very much for the reply

yes the 14" wheels was one of the main reasons i went for it, the other being liquid cooled and pegs and fake tank thing

thats sort of the point of the post, i could just fill my basket up with shiney stuff an press buy it now, but i have many projects on the go an tbh to save time doing homework and money learning it through experience i was hoping to get a head start an be able to learn from other more experienced people off of here, advice on quality parts that will compliment each other well, go the distance an ok bang for buck

4. ramo

ramo GoldMember

You’ll always need to do some homework - the most powerful setup might not necessarily work well with your riding style

Different combinations of parts, even very small ones, will give your engine very different characteristics. And me suggesting you a good all round setup is pointless cos all rounders don’t usually come 1st:p

If it were me and I wanted a quality setup I’d whip out the polini catalog. They’ve spent many years testing and improving their parts for exactly this purpose!