Disc brake pump suddenly not pumping SOLVED

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Junk-man, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Junk-man

Junk-man Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Mojito 125
    Hi all, just in the process of learning about my front disc brake. I took the pads out, tested the cylinders and one worked, one was jammed.

I left the caliper loose overnight, came back in the morning to find the non-jammed cylinder had fallen out and most of the fluid had leaked out of the system.

Now I can't seem to get fluid back into the system. I fill the reservoir and pump and pump, but the oil just sits there. I tried it without the hose connected to the reservoir too, and no oil comes out of the port. Is there some obvious thing I'm not doing?

Help much appreciated, thanks!

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Take it to a shop to get the brakes sorted if your not sure !

3. Junk-man

Junk-man Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Mojito 125
    From my research I think it needs priming. I put my thumb over the outlet of the master cylinder and pumped the lever - this made air bubbles come up through the oil. Eventually oil started coming out the outlet. Then it was getting dark and I stopped.

4. Junk-man

Junk-man Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Mojito 125
    OK, sorted it now. I had to fill the reservoir with fluid, press the lever, put my thumb over the outlet, release the lever, and repeat until air bubbles stopped coming back through the fluid and fluid was coming out the outlet.

Then reconnect the hose to the master cylinder, and have the other disconnected end dipped in the bottle of brake fluid. Pump the lever and you hear gurgling coming from the bottle as the air is pumped out, and eventually the gurgling stops and the level in the reservoir starts to go down.

Then you have to reconnect the hose to the caliper as quick as you can - fluid is leaking out the whole time but as long as you reconnect it before the reservoir empties you're fine. Then you can bleed the system in the usual manner. Boom!

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Its called bleeding the brakes. I did a youtube video about it on my volvo a few months ago.
    Air bubbles in brake fluid is a bad thing.