dilemma time!

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by Renllek, May 23, 2017.

?

up-jet or bigger carb

1. up-jet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. bigger carb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Renllek

Renllek Member

So...i bought a non running scoot (piaggio NRG) that had been abused, stripped and needed a new top end.

Needed a new exhaust at the same time so have fitted a technigas Q-tre, this has the restrictor still in.

Iv fitted the new top end (50cc 101 octane) and managed to start her, little fettling of the carb and i can get her to idle for a little while albeit very lumpy.

Dont know what top end it had before but it came with a fubar'd cast 50cc cylinder, and a very rough looking leoVince exhaust.

And thus here is my dilemma, the carb on there is a PHVA 12mm carb, with the little knowledge i have of its previous setup do i try and rejet the carb to get her running right, or........do i just bite the bullet and get a 17.5mm carb and work from there?

Plan in the (not so) long run, will be to move up too a 70cc sport kit and remove the restrictor from the pipe. the 50cc kit was just a cheap nasty one that wouldnt break the bank in 'just getting her running'. So im leaning towards just picking up a new 17.5mm carb.

Any opinions??

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    17.5mm carb rejet but grab a selection of mainjets becasue when you 70 kit it your gonna be rejeting even higher. while at it, knock that restriction cone from the sports pipe so its a ready bolt on to the 70cc.

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

As above
    17.5mm carb
    Cone out the pipe
    Open sponge filter in the original box
    Re-jet
    ENJOY:)

p.s. hope you didn't buy the chrome version, it'll start to rust in 3 months.....................

4. Renllek

Renllek Member

Update,

i knocked the cone out and it ran better at idle, not so lumpy any more, still only ran for about 5 mins and then died.

Tonight i took the carb off and gave it a good clean, turns out it is a 17.5 and not a 12 so that solves that decision, think the main jet of 70 is prime culprit for bogging at WOT. not sure why it has a 70 in it as all the 17.5 carbs i seen come with a min of 80 when new?

Also found the cause of the running for 5 minutes and then dying, seems i had a small split in the vacuum pipe and thus had a vacuum leak that was resulting in the fuel not being pulled into the carb fast enough.

So jobs a guddun, just need to pick up some jets, any recommendations of what size to start with, would 80 be too ambitious? only ask as i was going pick up the polini 80-98 jet kit

And Steve, no i didnt get the chrome one, i think chrome looks hideous. i went for the bare metal one and gave it a coat of white VHT engine paint. scoots going to get a change in colour scheme to black and white (to match my other bike and biking gear) once its all running nice.