Derestricting a Honda sgx sky 50 2000

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by merovingian, Aug 7, 2015.

1. merovingian

merovingian New Member

I understand they are governed by the CDI to 45kph, this is an anooying cdi and coil in the same box, can anybody throw any light on this please

2. merovingian

merovingian New Member

3. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Apparently,derestricted they do just over 40 mph,cpla posts up on u-tube (robthescooterlover).

4. merovingian

merovingian New Member

Logically of course, but i'm fairly sure they weigh more than 78kgs, it's the light weight for carrying on the motor home thats the real advantage

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

if i remember right, they have a kinda notch thing that is part of the vario, its not a "removeable" restricter as suchunless you own a machine shop and a lathe, but you can get an aftermarket vario without the bit.... but thats for an SFX, but im sure it was the same motor.... if not that, check out the honda X8R or whatever its called, thats a different motor to the SFX and might be the same as yours....

6. merovingian

merovingian New Member

Thankyou, I bought an aftermarket vario, throttle fully open she is now doing over 80kph ie 50mph on the flat with a more progressive pick up when moving off. Total investment, two seals 2 new bolts and a headlamp bulb €14, plus vario €49 including postage from england, plus quite a few hours labour; will now decoke the exhaust with caustic soda to see if that improves the running a little more.
    Should anyone have a better method of decoking I would be grateful for advice?

7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

i used caustic soda on my old suzuki, seemed to work well. also, use the best 2 stroke oil, none of the supermarket own brand/cheap crap. if you use good oil that motor is good for 100k....

8. merovingian

merovingian New Member

Thats to say synthetic 2 stroke oil right, which should burn cleaner, I will buy a kilo of caustic soda this pm and leave it overnight to give it a good clean out, thanks so much for the info!

9. merovingian

merovingian New Member

Yes the sfx is the same engine according to the specs

scubabiker likes this.
  10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

thought so, good motors them, they wheelie in standard form, they dont have a HP restriction, just a speed restriction. the early ones have a plate on the vario that you can take off, but the later ones have that stupid vario that you cant derestrict....
    the only real problem ive seen with those motors is the crank seals going, but thats due to people not using good oil, like i said, ive seen them clock over 100k on standard rings!
    castrol scoot 1 or whatever its called is one of the best oils you can use, but really any good brand (motul, silkoline etc etc) will be good enough

11. merovingian

merovingian New Member

Yes, bought it second hand for my son for his studies, but now he has a car so its back in my hands. I thought hey maybe thats light enough to carry behind the Hymer as its about 78kgs wet, so no knowing what oil has been used in it, the first owner was a student copper who used it just to go back and forth to the railway station of a morning now done 15000kms ie 10000 miles. So thats great if i take care of it, it should last me a long time, this Spanish oil is a good deal always, I use this make in my Merc car and in the Fiat ducato based Hymer it ticks all the spec boxes
    http://www.amazon.fr/CEPSA-51563418...&qid=1439379253&sr=1-1&keywords=huile+2+temps

12. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Another owner who has had the bike back off the boy then. ;) And a spanner to boot:D
    You and Merlin should get on great.
    And I have to ask..........with that monika, do you have ancestral links to that dynasty?

13. merovingian

merovingian New Member

LOL, no, not at all, two reasons really, I live in the same region as the Merovingian kings and I like the Matrix character, needed a handle for online gaming et voila!

14. merovingian

merovingian New Member

She appears to be running too rich especially when cold and after when warmed up; is this likely to be the electric choke? I have ordered a new one off ebay anyway

15. Antjp

Antjp New Member

Rides:
    Honda Sky, Honda VTR
    I also have a sgx50 sky, Mines standard apart from a larger variator, how have you managed to see 50mph on the flat
    I've tried my very best with standard engine and can only see 50mph keeping low, down hill and tailgating a truck close. I just don't seem to have the power in my engine. Sat normaly on flat I get 38mph tops. My weight is 11 stones. What variator weights are you using in your new variator? I have 8gram.

16. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

change the cdi to a higher revving one. also you could try heavier rollers, but 8g is already quite heavy

17. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Check the exhaust hasn't got a restriction washer or tube welded in the throat of it. If it has, drill the bugger out.

18. Antjp

Antjp New Member

Rides:
    Honda Sky, Honda VTR
    There was a restriction washer in my exhaust pipe just where it attached to the engine. I drilled that out. Also my standard air box looked to enter large then go smaller and smaller as it enters the box on the inside. I've cut away passage so it can draw from the full square to get air into the box.
    I will send you a photo of my spark plug. I think I'm now running a little lean.

19. Antjp

Antjp New Member

Rides:
    Honda Sky, Honda VTR
    image.jpeg
    Can you see the photo ok, that was ran flat out for over 5 miles and switched off wide open throttle to a swift stop.

20. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

yeah thats looking lean! wow! hmm.... you need a larger main jet in there, although damage may already be done....hmm....