Derestrict and tune a yamaha d'elight 125 2021 euro 5

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by merovingian, Oct 13, 2021.

1. merovingian

merovingian New Member

I'm thinking about buying a lightweight scooter to carry on the back of my motorhome and at 101kgs for a 125 this fits the bill. However I want to up the power for pillion riding etc. I have experience with a Honda sky which i uprated to 70cc with a Malossi kit. Can anyone please show me where to get the info for this model as maybe someone has detailed experience on this please

2. The Messenger

The Messenger Active Member

The engine on the Delight 125 is a four stroke 125cc, its the wrong scooter really to try and improve on power wise im afraid.

3. merovingian

merovingian New Member

I'm sure you understand my motives in going as lightweight as possible. The carrier can support a maximum of 150kgs although I shy away from that obviously
    I feel at a loss as to what to do now, so any ideas would be very welcome.
    Maybe a malossi kit would help improve the responsiveness and raise the top speed for a given rpm without a real power increase?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I have to agree with #The Messenger here.
    It'll certainly do for the back of the camper but it won't achieve the power you seem to be looking for. Anything over 45mph is going to be a struggle 2 up.
    Then there is the point about invalidating the warranty if you modify it in any way yourself. All has to be done by the stealers or lose everything.
    Personally, I would grab your partner and go look at multiple options on the used market rather than new.
    You'll get them cheaper, you can then modify to your hearts content without fear of losing warranty stuff.
    But the main thing is pillion comfort........You want your partner to feel safe and comfy on the back so they enjoy the ride as well, that way they'll have no qualms about jumping on for the ride.
    Most 125's these days have uprated cylinder kits available, up to 150/170/180cc, so they'll get you more umph, but there is still the rev limit that's governed by the cdi itself, so top speed is limited without changing out the cdi for an unrestricted one.
    And they ain't exactly cheap.
    Anything you look at Malossi wise is very expensive, hugely over-priced really, and a lot of suppliers are moving away from it because of that.

5. The Messenger

The Messenger Active Member

Just to add to the good advise already given, if you find a scooter with the Piaggio Leader 125cc 4 stroke engine, there is a lot of tuning goodies available for that engine. But as SteveP has pointed out its not cheap.

Years ago a friend of mine had a Gilera Runner VX125 4 stroke scooter, after trying an aftermarket exhaust and variator which frankly all it did was relieve him of his money, we slotted in a VXR180 4T motor one afternoon which he bought 2nd hand from a breaker.

That did the trick, the scooter was much more powerful, of course it was now illegal to ride on L plates, but when your young and care free you take these risks.