Dellorto carb vacuum pipe sealed off, why?

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by Buzz, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

hi im working on a nrg 50cc a/c scooter as a project. On stripping the carb i found that the last person has cut the vacuum nipple rubber hose and blocked it with a bolt. Why would that be done? Would it help the carb or cause issues? It means there is no vacuum running through the carb itself.

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Probably taken the vac feed off the manifold instead of the carb?
    I have changed a carb and found that I ended up with 2 vac feeds, one on the carb and one on the manifold, so I used one for the vacuum and one for another oil feed to the piston. I think it was the katana I did that on.
    Could also be that the vac tap is knackered and allowing the fuel to free flow to the carb therefore not needing the vac.
    This way it is relying on just the float needle to stop the flow of fuel.

3. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Ill check the vac connections at the other points then, presumably if it runs from the manifold to the fuel petcock then that is sufficient for fuel flow and I can leave the carb nipple blocked off?

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

As long as you have a vac connection to pull the fuel, use any one of them.
    I use a piece of pipe folded over and a small cable tie to hold it together.
    Used a piece of pipe just in case I ever wanted to use the hole for something else.;)

5. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Thanks, appreciated. I might pop a T piece in, run a pipe from the petcock and split it to connect to carb and manifold . Ill check the fuel to see if the petcock is actually working or if it is free flow from a bad diaphragm as you suggested.

6. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    no, below the carb is a PULSE vac (it sucks and blows with engine rpm, literally every single revolution this pipe will suck and blow as its direct to the crankcase) its for running pumps, the carb vac is for running the fuel tap, it is PAST the reedblock so will ONLY be a vac... #

people always do this, it fucks fuel taps.. use the pulse for pulse and the vac for vac.

7. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    deffo the vac and not a piss poor attempt at removing the carb heater? gotta ask just in case

8. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Carb heater is in, def vac pipe plugged. Sold ped now so onto next project.