Dellorto 17.5mm carb

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by SupaRox, Jun 10, 2011.

1. SupaRox

SupaRox Member

Rides:
    Aerox
    Hey there guys,

This might sound like a stupid question, but would a Dellorto phbl 17.5mm carb that came off a piaggio nrg fit a x-reg yamaha aerox yq50? Just that I came across one for fairly cheap, and hear that aerox's run 12mms, which is pretty small!

Would this even work on a 50cc aerox? The only modification is a leo vinece TT pipe. The main concern is I don't know if the carb has a manual choke or automatic, or which my bike has? (I know that sounds stupid, and I apologise! I just haven't seemed to have go time to play with the bike at all lol)

Also, I assume i would need a new box of jets, etc?

Thanks, any feedback will be very appreciated! :)

2. Gamble

Gamble Member

I don't know what jets Aerox's run or what ever but yes a box of jets will be the best way forward and I think it'll be automatic choke. You should be able to tell from the picture and if not just contact the seller.

EDIT : Apologies, when posting meant automatic choke instead of manual. :blush:

3. SupaRox

SupaRox Member

Rides:
    Aerox
    Thanks mate.

I couldn't tell from the picture or info, so i sent the seller an email. I assume my bikes manual to, as it has sort of leaver on the bottom left side of the handle bar?

So you reckon 17.5mm carb would work on an 50cc aerox? lol. Sorry im being an idiot, i just don't want the old dear to break!

4. lshigham

lshigham Member

The 17.5mm delly's I've seen are all auto choke (the original NRG one's all are), but you can convert them to manual with a kit from dellorto-direct.co.uk.

5. SupaRox

SupaRox Member

Rides:
    Aerox
    Thanks buddy!

Just looked at the add and it says that the carb is complete but NEEDS a new needle and circlip as other needle was misplaced. Are these hard to come by, if not any links?

6. lshigham

lshigham Member

7. SupaRox

SupaRox Member

Rides:
    Aerox
    ahh awesome bud you've been a great help!

Now just one last question, around what jet size will i need? I know that its all trial and error, and that all bikes are different, but there must be some sort of region where i will the perfect fit.

8. lshigham

lshigham Member

9. lshigham

lshigham Member

10. SupaRox

SupaRox Member

Rides:
    Aerox
    Thanks man! I really do appreciate the advice. :good:

I lied when i said last question :grin: Will this actually mean i have any gain in performance? and will it mean my bikes gona give me headaches?

11. lshigham

lshigham Member

So long as it fits in the manifold and air box, it'll certainly be an improvement over the 12mm and gives some breathing space for if you decide to tune it. The other advantage is that jets are so much easier to get for the delly :)

12. SupaRox

SupaRox Member

Rides:
    Aerox
    Thanks for the help so far man!

Just one concern, is there a chance that it wont fit? and if not is there away of getting around that?

Thanks once again

13. SupaRox

SupaRox Member

Rides:
    Aerox
  14. lshigham

lshigham Member

If you measure the intake and filter size of the stock carb and compare them to the delly you'll get a good idea if it'll fit. The delly is 35mm airbox side and 24mm manifold :)

15. SupaRox

SupaRox Member

Rides:
    Aerox
    Thanks man, you have been a great help!

I'll check my bike tomorrow (it's at my friends house at the moment, bastard rain lol)

16. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    Sorry to jump on the thread, I'm fitting a 17.5 delli carb to my et2, have a yasuni z exhaust to go on aswell, does anyone know what sort of size jet to start with? As mine is a 12mm Weber standard, thank you

17. Damjan

Damjan Active Member

Rides:
    Baotian Falcon 50R
    It depends how big is your intake funnel on your airbox, for example on 13mm opening on the airbox 60-64main jet is somewhere there, i tune the SR50`s here with 20mm so it uses the whole area of the difusor of the 17,5mm and for 20mm its around 85-95 jet. Take that as a starting point also modify your intake funnel as u wish. Bigger one more performance.