D.I.Y Scooter/Motorcycle Puncture Repair

Discussion in 'Scooter Guides' started by scootzmadness, Jun 25, 2016.

1. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    Disclaimer - By following this guide you do so at your own risk, Myself, My blog Or Scootershack can not and will not take any responsibility for any damage, injuries or death caused by any work you have carried out on a vehicle following this guide.

This is all copied over from one of my blogs so excuse the copyright writing on the images and please excuse the poor standard of writing.

Ive heard stories of people paying £30-£40 for a simple puncture repair and I always find myself screaming at the computer screen because of how simple it is to do yourself. I always keep a puncture repair kit under the seat along with a bunch of other tools and emergency gear just incase something happens while I'm out riding. You can pick a cheap puncture kit up from ebay or amazon for less than £10. You should only ever attempt a puncture repair if the puncture is NOT in the tread pattern, If it is like it is in my pictures it is ok to repair, Inside the tread and it wont be safe to do. Replace the tyre.

1.png
    The screw in my tyre was pretty obvious and the tyre would only hold air for 30 seconds at the most.
    2.png
    Step One - Locate and remove the screw or item that has punctured your tyre.
    3.png
    Step Two - Inspect the hole in your tyre.
    4.png
    Step Three - Get pissed at the item that has punctured your tyre and throw it somewhere into the distance for it never to be seen again.
    5.png
    Step Four - Get the clean up tool.
    6.png
    Step Five - Insert the clean up tool into the puncture, push it in and out and twist it about until it moves freely in the puncture.
    7.png
    Step Six - Remove the tool once it starts to move freely, it means that the puncture is now cleaned up.
    8.png
    Step Seven - Get your kit ready, You'll need the insertion tool, The cords and the rubber cement (cement not pictured here)
    9.png
    Step Eight - Thread one of the chords through the insertion tool and cover the cord in rubber cement.
    10.png
    Step Nine - Insert the insertion tool into the cleaned puncture until you can only see part of the chord coming through.
    11.png
    Step Ten - Remove the insertion tool. (just pull it out)
    12.png
    Step Eleven - Trim down the chord and allow the rubber cement to dry. Fill with air and check your repair with a spray bottle of warm water, If there are no bubbles the repair has worked.

If I can I usually leave the rubber cement to dry for two to three hours before I fill the tyre with air, Its not important to do it, It will work without allowing it to dry for so long but its just something that I do for peace of mind. Its ok to leave a little chord showing, It will wear down quickly when the tyre is being ridden on and eventually you wont even be able to tell where the repair is.

accyuklad likes this.