Cvt timing/rpm

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by McScooterson, May 3, 2015.

1. McScooterson

McScooterson Member

Hey all, greetings from Michigan.

Ive been messing with scooters for about 10 years now. I used to throw money at them and hope that everything worked out. Now im a little older and less careless with my money.
    So, I have descent parts on my Honda Dio af16 vertical motor, but I want more performance from what I have and to not spend anymore money. So long story short, I'd like advice on cvt tuning as I think my motor is pretty well setup.
    With my dio, I am able to see the rear pulley and clutch clearly while it is running. One thing that I nnoticed is that my belt begins to move downwards into the pulley before the clutch engages. I corrected this by lessening the tension on my clutch springs. But now power transmission to my rear wheel begins at too low rpm.
    My next thought was to increase torque spring tension(polini blue), but I didnt spend much time tuning with the stiffer spring in cause it really felt too stiff (malossi red).
    So I'd like to hear CVT tuning tricks if you have them, but my number 1 question is what timing should I have between my clutch grabbing the bell, and the belt moving downward?

Thanks fellas

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

There is no standard way of "timing" the cvt and belt combo, its more a case of balancing the clutch springs, torque spring, and rollers to a point where you are happy with the way it accelerates.

MARSH likes this.
  3. McScooterson

McScooterson Member

I suppose ill start with the least adjustable thing which is the torque spring and work the rollers and clutch springs around that. My riding style is low (er) speed city driving...45 and getting there asap.

4. Cboya

Cboya New Member

I think I'm having same issue with my typhoon 50 , lag in acceleration