cuts out after 5 mins piaggio zip 50cc

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by vespa1, Jul 8, 2011.

1. vespa1

vespa1 Guest

it starts up and tics over great but when u ride it after about 5 mins it cuts out i have cleaned carb and changed plug but still no joy can any one help regards daz :banghead:

2. m1ck_t

m1ck_t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    alot of shit
    Heat seizing ?

3. vespa1

vespa1 Guest

hi and thanks for help does not seem to be over heating was told it could be auto choke so sriped that out cleaned and put back in made no differance

4. djsodapop

djsodapop Member

Rides:
    Gilera DNA 125
    Try some redex in the fuel and just let it run for about 10+ mins and then give it a go. Redex £2 Tesco and ASDA.

5. vespa1

vespa1 Guest

done that m8 still no good

6. djsodapop

djsodapop Member

Rides:
    Gilera DNA 125
    When you pull the plug what colour is it??

7. vespa1

vespa1 Guest

it was black

8. vespa1

vespa1 Guest

it runs for about 5 mins then starts to cut out but if u drop revs it picks up and tics over ok but when u go to pull off starts to die again could it be sucking in air

9. djsodapop

djsodapop Member

Rides:
    Gilera DNA 125
    Right have u let it run for 5 mins before u try to pull off? If so does it still go to cut out? If the spark plug is black then the mixture is wrong. I had the same issue. I banged lots of redex thru and also altered the mixture and timing and now there is no probes. Let me know if it doesn't change anything.

10. vespa1

vespa1 Guest

thanks m8 will try it today and get back to u

11. vespa1

vespa1 Guest

hi m8 looks like u could be right mixture screw was all the way in took it out half a turn and its a lot better still needs a bit ov messin with to get it right but at least its not cuttin out so many thanks to u my friend

12. djsodapop

djsodapop Member

Rides:
    Gilera DNA 125
    No probs. Note when the bike is idling the rear wheel should not be spinning. Unless the choke has cut in. Good luck.

13. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    NEVER put redex in your tank?!?!?!?!?!?

idle mix screw should be 1 and 3/4 turns out from fully in, sounds like your choke is fucked/stuck on...cleaning it wont change anything jammed inside, its a sealed unit. need to replace it to rule it out.

14. djsodapop

djsodapop Member

Rides:
    Gilera DNA 125
    Why not redex? It cleared mine and running sweet now.

15. stkflote

stkflote Member

Rides:
    zip 2t cat
    i might be wrong here, but Redex in a two stroke tank could possible clear the lubricants from engine internals such as piston,

16. gileraskp95

gileraskp95 New Member

Rides:
    gilera stalker 50cc
    err hello mines having the same problem keeps cutting out i dont know alot about scooters so what screw is this and where can i find it cheers :)

17. mbk3dga

mbk3dga Member

Rides:
    aprilia sr R
    i had a same problem try changing your choke if its electric, it helped to me , or it means that your bike dosent get enough petrol after choke stops working so you need upjeting

18. gileraskp95

gileraskp95 New Member

Rides:
    gilera stalker 50cc
    okay cheers pal

19. Nickzip50

Nickzip50 Member

I've got a similar problem, my piston and barrel fucked themselves cos the oil pump packed in, so I replaced the barrel and piston but had not yet discovered the oil pump problem, so I was going down the road, it suddenly died but then started right up again, got another 100 feet and it seized, so I looked into it found the oil pump problem and now it's premixed with a new high quality piston kit, I was on the way to work with it and it got ten minutes down the road and suddenly stopped again, it was smoking well and running like a dream for the first time ever, then started right up on the button straight away but I'm aftaid to ride it again encase it seizes for whatever reason, so I pushed it two miles to work.
    The fuel/air mixture screw is 3 turns out, is this wrong? The plug is grey and the new piston that seized before this one had a grey patch on it after ten minutes, please note I'm not riding it until I discover how to fix this
    It's a piaggio zip 50

20. frank kilmore

frank kilmore New Member

I had this prob on piaggio zip 50....cut out at traffic lights,wouldnt restart.... so took carb off and cleaned, then when restarted, it revs bollocks off.....OR cut out again....So I took carb off and cleaned again unscrewed the mix screw and cleaned it out, cleaned throttle, disconnected auto choke, cleaned air filter...and slowly got back to normal,whatever normal is....so i dont know what cured it because I did all that.....(I did notice before it cut out first time, it accelerated from a standing start nearly taking it out my hands...)..it also starts without choke...mix screw is 1.5 turns out....After all that, it COULD have been bad petrol,with water in it....you do get absolute crap in your petrol, cars dont notice so much,but a little 50cc will do...