Crash, whos to blame?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MrXT, Apr 7, 2016.

1. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

I got in a little collision today on my way back from the dentist. I came up behind a blue van that had stopped, initially i thought it was because the other side of the road was blocked by a very large truck carrying cars and a car ahead had blocked him so i pulled up behind him and suddenly he starts reversing to paralel park and knocks me down. After i got up i noticed his indicator was on BUT i dont recall seeing that as i pulled behind him so maybe he turned it on afterwards but it was also very very dim especially in the daylight. Admittedly my positioning wasnt the best but i dont like pulling too close to vehicles with massive wheels so i was a bit in the middle of the car rather than at the side where his mirrors could see me. This was also a busy main road.

So whos fault was it?

ramo likes this.
  2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Could be a case of 50/50, unless you have witnesses to say otherwise.
    HOWEVER............you never left yourself an out.

3. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Sure i did, my out was run to the left, which is what i did when the front of the bike went under the vans rear bumper. Other than that i had a huge fuck off lorry on my right,a car up my arse and a blue van reversing on a busy main road.

4. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    I would say it's the driver & not because i dislike cars - but generally its 'the guy who hits from behind that's at fault & he brought the impact to you ?.

5. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    im a lorry driver we have mirrors that show us down the sides of our vehicle not behind it, so,, 1 you should position your self so the driver can see you ,if you can see there mirrors they can see you,,, 2he driver should check behind them before they reverse so its 60 40 in favour of the driver

ramo and OldeDog like this.
  6. OldeDog

OldeDog New Member

I got to agree with twodogs comments, also you say you may have missed his indicators...I hope it doesn't cost you, but learn the lessons and move on is my advice.

7. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Got call yesterday afternoon saying the driver admitted liability and its been ruled in my favour.

I don't think I missed his indicators at all, I am always scanning ahead and if his indicators were on when I approached I would have seen them. I think whats happened is I have come up behind him and he has decided to park with me waiting behind him and its then that he has indicated and he has either not looked or not been able to see me through his mirrors maybe because of my positioning due to the large truck on the right.

Either way I'm glad this didn't go on forever as the damage to the front of my bike was minor.

8. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    your lucky, but well done,i would have not given you the case, just goes to show its not always as simple as one thinks