crank on a 70

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by nrgandy, Feb 4, 2007.

1. nrgandy

nrgandy New Member

basicly some people said my crank wont be ok on this setup and will snap as the bike has done nearly 7000miles (as a 50) and i was wanting to know if it will not stand the power as i dont want it to be breaking
    Mallossi mhr rep 70 kit (might polish the exhaust port)
    yasuni c16
    Polini Speed Control Variator
    Dell'Orto PHBG ds 21mm Carb
    Malossi MHR rep Inlet Manifold
    Polini Torque Drive
    Polini Clutch Bell
    Malossi Primary Gear up
    Malossi belt (kevlar)
    hebo clutch
    polini filter (like terro had on his 70)
    hebo reedblock (or another make)

2. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    mhr rep is fine on a stock crank.. have you ever had somone snap there 50 crank? as i never hear it on forums, just people worrying about it.

fdit the barrel, if it goes it goes

3. nrgandy

nrgandy New Member

what can the crank break with it if it does go

4. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    well, what else will happen? usually the variator shaft snaps if its a break as there loaded more on the left side, if a crank fails it will be the big end bearing or mains in most cases. rarely snap a conrod on a 50 lump and in the past 2 years ive only ever heard people say the bearings have gone not the crank snapping..

just fit the barrel and have done with it, if it breaks it would have broken anyway, just happend sooner

5. Major Rel14b1lty

Major Rel14b1lty New Member

yer so to make it a bit clearer if my crank goes, will it take my mhr rep kit with it

6. Starkie

Starkie New Member

shouldnt do, my crank snapped the other week and the only damage was the conrod on the crank, althoughi was told im lucky. shouldt snap unless it has a reason to (no oil, being thrashed, too cold etc.)

7. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    it depends how it snaps mate, if the crank shears at one end whilst spinning fast, theoretically it could snapthe con-rod, do a full circl and the only bits of the engine salvagable would be the outer tranny case and the kickstart lever. have seen speedway engines do simelar.

it's an xtreme case though, VERY unlikely.

8. Starkie

Starkie New Member

my crank went at full throttle, conrod moves about 1cm...not good lol, luckily i got away with 150 quid for the crank and fitting, no more damage :bird:

9. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    ive seen conrods snap, spin round and puncture a case befor now, but as wobbely said this is a RARE thing and usually conrods snap after being straightend as theres a weak spot. your bearings will give way befor it snaps usually...

10. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    best one i saw was a speedway motor snap at the little end at 10,000 rpms on the start line, wiped the barrel out and split both cases in 2, the pistom went through the head and richoched off the front tyre into the air and the only salvagable part was the ignition outer cover.

not good on a £3500 engine

11. nrgandy

nrgandy New Member

if ma engine fuks up it fuks up ill just fix it whilst useing my spare lump in it

12. Sleaze Phonikz

Sleaze Phonikz New Member

Im running a MHR rep, have done for months...Cranks fine!...Well hopeso anyway Haha!...
    Like Minor said i've never heard of a 50's crank snapping either, although its much better if you do upgrade to some sort of race crank seeing your going to put it under more pressure. However Im sure it will be fine mate.