Correct stator output voltage when turning over? (Piaggio)

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Junk-man, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Junk-man

Junk-man Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Mojito 125
    Hi everyone, trying to get to the bottom of a no spark issue (Aprilia Mojito 125) - just wondering if anyone knows roughly what sort of voltage each stator coil should output when I turn the engine over on the button? My multi meter shows around 3 volts per coil, which seems low. Maybe the pick up has gone? Any help much appreciated, cheers!

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    output from the stator should be around 10v+ but remember this is an AC current thats then sent to the regulator rectifiyer and converted to dc to run lights and the other stuff.

when the magneto is spinning fast enough, usually around 4-5k rpm the charge voltage kicks in, hooking the multimeter to the battery it should read 12v near abouts, when bike is run upto rpm that battery voltage should rise to no more than 14.4v ( 14.4v is the max voltage a bike battery can take before it starts to boil the liquid if lead acid, if its an sla it starts to vent gasses building up and boils the gel )

3. Junk-man

Junk-man Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Mojito 125
    Cheers for the replies guys, so you think around 10v AC when cranking on the starter motor (not actually running)? Wish I'd measured all this stuff when it was working properly!

I'd rather not just replace it for the sake of it, when it should be testable as to whether it's working correctly.

4. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    when bike is running and you probe the stator coils they can be making anything from like 20ac volts up, when you add throttle at around 5 grand the charge kicks in so that stator ac voltage rises upto anything like 80ac volts. you check this by having the hot probe on a coil output and the cold probe on the batterys negative terminal.

eletcrical is something i tend to leave to the mechs in shop, but if your able to get your hands on the service manual for bike it will have the relevent info on ac charge etc etc in it. most of the stuff i learn was from youtube chanels and mistakes on old twostrokes when i was a kiddie lol.

before you go yanking and cranking, does the bike have a kickstand switch, sometimes a no spark can be due to problems from the switched ground from the kickstand , so have a check in this area to

5. Junk-man

Junk-man Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Mojito 125
    Cheers, this bike has no kickstand switch, and only an electric start, but I've eliminated the wiring, ignition coil, spark plug cap, spark plug, ht lead, and kill switch as being the problem - at this point it's either the CDI or the stator. But I have no idea if the readings I'm getting of 3V AC per coil are the readings of a healthy stator or not. The service manual only gives output for 3000 rpm - I don't know what rpm I get from the electric start but I'm guessing less than 200.